SOTA Inactivity

As it’s rather a long time since my last activation, I thought it about time for a quick update on life chez G4ERP. First and foremost, I haven’t forgotten you all - and I’m still alive and well in case you were wondering. Things have, however, taken off in a rather unexpected direction which will probably mean I can only manage a limited number of activations next year. Some of you already have an idea what I’m on about but for those who don’t - and because things have escalated further over the last couple of weeks here’s a précis.

I’ve gone back to my roots and have got involved with horses again after a gap of over 20 years. More than that, last week I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse and I now have a horse on loan. Assuming I’m still capable after all this time, I’ll be competing with him next year. There are those who are convinced I’m mad.

Here’s the important bit. In the evenings, I’m still thinking SOTA. I’m currently updating the Outdoor Operating chapter of the RSGB Handbook so if anyone’s got any strong views on additions or corrections that they would like to see, please feel free to let me know. There’s quite a lot I didn’t have time to include first time round and of course SOTA technology has moved on in that time.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

I wonder if riding to a summit counts for SOTA, doesn’t it say something about getting to the top under your own power.

But, horses can carry a bigger load than goats so maybe a QRO activation is in your future.

Colin G8TMV

Morning Colin,

The rule was amended. It did indeed used to say “person-powered”. But the MT kind of liked the idea of horses and goats, and didn’t think it broke the spirit of the programme, so it became “non-motorised”.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The rule was amended. It did indeed used to say
“person-powered”. But the MT kind of liked the idea of
horses and goats, and didn’t think it broke the spirit of the
programme, so it became “non-motorised”.

It would take rather a large goat to carry my weight to the top of a SOTA summit, but I quite like the idea of a llama or a yak!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G4ERP:

and of course SOTA technology has moved on in that time.

Hi Richard

I was wondering what you were up to the other day. Will we be seeing you in the Grand National or is it a more sedate aspect of riding that you will be doing?

Re SOTA, looking back on how I did things in the TBS (Time Before SOTA) some things have changed quite a bit (certainly battery technology and the ability to use higher power levels). Of course at the other end of the spectrum, Kjell has proved that with good back-end processing (brain powered) 50+ HF contacts are easily possible using a standard PP3 battery. I think that’s an interesting development too - where skill is traded off against power.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3NYY:

It would take rather a large goat to carry my weight to the top of a
SOTA summit, but I quite like the idea of a llama or a yak!

Walt (G3NYY)

http://image51.webshots.com/151/5/88/4/2236588040014262649eXyxYw_ph.jpg

hw?

73 Bernhard DL4CW

I love the idea of riding to the summits first I just need to loose a few stone so I didn’t kill the horse in the process. Last time I rode they gave me a cart horse and I am much bigger these days. The darn thing thought it was great fun to go under the lowest tree branches it could find to try and knock me off. I ended up riding like a ‘red injun’ in a John Wayne movie, hanging off the side. When that thing decided it wanted to canter it was like a runaway train. The canter slowly became a gallop and I had visions of never being able to stop. Fortunately I was wrong and it was kind of scary but fun.

Biggest issue I could see is finding parking for a horse box near a lot of the summits, but parking a few miles away would not make too much difference on horseback anyway.

Good luck to Richard with both the competing and the writing. They sound like two delightful ways to spend your time.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to DL4CW:

http://image51.webshots.com/151/5/88/4/2236588040014262649eXyxYw_ph.jpg

hw?

“Access Forbidden”, Bernhard … sri.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

I see… very strange, it worked fine here when I posted the link.

Maybe ok if the framework is loaded, too:

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to GW7AAV:

Now there’s a thought. I hadn’t realised such an activation would qualify so thanks to Tom for pointing it out. It would definitely be a quick HHH activation though (Horsey HandHeld) and I certainly wouldn’t be dismounting.

Our field of competition is what are called Horse Trials or Eventing. It’s the equine equivalent of a triathlon, starting with Dressage then a cross-country course over jumps then Show Jumping. It’s far from sedate and is probably the toughest discipline of the lot. There’s some stunning on-board footage of the XC at the Kentucky WEG here:

Horse is 16.1hh and a Thoroughbred (racehorse) type. He’s got the performance but at the same time he’s high maintenance. I think you’d also describe him as “not a novice ride”. Anyone into horses will understand that euphemism. It should be an interesting year.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

he’s high maintenance

That is why I never wanted one of my own, all horses are high maintenance just like women and if you have both you either have no kids (also high maintenance) or a very nice income. I always thought that when I got rich I would have horses and employ someone to look after them, it hasn’t happened yet. The folks I know with horses never seem to have time for anything else.

Steve wG0AT probably has the best idea with goats as they are fairly low maintenance and they will eat anything. Bonus with goats is no lawn mower required. You can’t quite keep horses on your lawn.

Surely Richard the SOTA could be combined with training for both horse and rider. If you had saddle bags with batteries and radios in you could do QRO and then when it came to the event the horse would feel so much lighter without say two car batteries and a 400w linear. ;0)

Regards Steve GW7AAV

PS Exhilarating just watching the video anyone who wonders why you do it after watching that is dead or something.