SOTA in Los Angeles?

It seems like I might be off on a last minute trip to LA soon so am wondering whether I should take the ft817 out with me and activate some summits. I’m exploring the SOTA Maps and understand we might initially be staying in the Fairfax District so I would welcome any comments/suggestions on which summits are easy to get to (drive ups?) & activate.
Also, any advice on airport security matters? By the way, I’ve taken the ft817 to Italy & Portugal so am familiar with Europe but this is my first time to the US so is there any advice out there specifically about getting through LAX?

73 Lea.

1 Like

There’s a whole reflector section for transport security.

1 Like

I’ve done a couple of videos on travelling with batteries, radio, masts etc.

Your airline will have specific watts per hr limit in batteries. Generally it is 100. BA is 150.
Put simply, radio batteries, antenna in hand luggage. Mast, sharp stuff (tent pegs etc) in the hold.

2 Likes

To the list above, I’add the coax cable. Remove anything from carry-on luggage that you can easily replace at your destination.
Going to Canada and back to Switzerland last year, I had a printout of IATA regulations as well as CEPT recommendation, my licence (credit card style) and logbook with me.

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

1 Like

To the West near Topanga there’s W6/CT-274, Saddle Peak. Nice walk to summit with great views. I’ve twice flown into LAX without issues with radio gear (KX1/dipole).

2 Likes

Check with N6AN, K6RIN, K6CPR and others. They activate hilltops
around there almost daily. There are many that are basically in the city.
73 and good luck!
John, K6YK

2 Likes

Best info here: SoCalSota@groups.io | Home

The W6 ARM has some useful info including a reminder to the Europeans that there isn’t the “every man’s right” thing here.

sotl.as and filter activations > 5 or 10 to see what’s popular.

You can choose elevation from < 0 to > 10,000 ft asl and move between coast and desert and cherry pick your weather. Right now it is winter, which means the time of year when it might rain. (And can be cold at elevation or windy at elevation or in the desert - think sandblasting.) So, the point forecast feature here is super useful to cherry pick your specific destination: https://www.weather.gov/ Right now, low coastal hills are warmer than the high elevation stuff and the desert stuff looks quite pleasant this weekend. (There is low and high desert and again altitude makes a difference.)

Have fun!

Drew
n7da

1 Like

Agreed on Saddle! It’s not quite a drive-up, but was a pleasant hike in early December for my first W6 summit on a short-notice trip to (through) LA. Parking at the overlook could be crowded if the weather’s nice. A recent report to reference as well: Fun on Saddle Peak W6/CT-274 - #5 by K6YK

3 Likes

I’m just outside of LA County where K6CPR and others live. Flying with the radio is easy, just expect the battery to be inspected and you must put the battery in your edit carryon luggage. I’d keep the radio with you as well as a copy of your license.

There are a few peaks out in that area and not too far of a drive. If you come out close to Woodland Hills and Ventura County, hit me up (KI6BTY) there are quite a few of us out here that would likely do an activation with you. Some of the trails are easy, some you want someone who knows them. Most peaks here are 1 point.

There’s also a So Cal SOTA group on Groups.IO where you can get some good intel on the area and which peaks to go to. You’ll have a bit of a drive anywhere you go, and our traffic is some of the worst in the world, so know plan accordingly.

1 Like

No. The battery must travel in your hand luggage as per all the airline and regulator’s rules.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s what I meant to say and the words that were in my head. No idea how it came out that way. I even traveled with my radio, via air, just 4 months ago.

Man, that’s embarrassing!!

I edited the original message.

2 Likes

Hello, Lea.
The closest summit to the Fairfax District appears to be Cahuenga Peak, W6/CT-037. It is a very popular hiking spot so later in the day and on weekends it is crowded. The hike is steep and the trail has several uneven rocky sections, but it can be done in 30 minutes. The views from the top are marvelous, and one can get close to the Hollywood sign with a bit more walking past the summit.
Drive ups are more distant. CT-158 is probably an hour away. Flint Peak and Cerro Negro Benchmark are 15 minute hikes and 30 to 40 minute drives. Another 15 minutes and you can be in the San Gabriel mountains for CT-146, CT-150 and CT-025.
n6an@arrl.net is my email address. 73, David N6AN

2 Likes

Hi Fraser,
I’ve just watched the ‘how much gear…’ video and I do like the BUBM bag!
73, Lea

I’m actually embarrassed by how much gear I took with me. I usually travel a lot lighter, but we had a generous luggage allowance on that trip.

1 Like