SOTA ...Ham Radio with a Positive Altitude

Ham Radio with a Positive Altitude!

40 Likes

I read that on the Zed earlier today, its good publicity!

3 Likes

Such great coverage, great community, and without a doubt an inlet for new operators. Good Stuff!

3 Likes

A good article in a magazine whose readership is not necessarily ham radio operators but outdoor enthusiasts . It will be interesting to hear any newly licensed SOTA activators on the air because they found out about our hobby through this publication.

Scott

5 Likes

I could not agree more Scott. I am a newer operator myself, I decided to get into radio specifically because of SOTA. After being here for a few months I have to say I am more than impressed with the community, im sure others will be as well.

2 Likes

Excellent article. I enjoyed reading it, and it shows SOTA, and amateur radio in general in a very positive light. Well done Steve and all involved.

Of course most of us are radio amateurs that get into hiking because of SOTA, and indeed that was part of John G3WGV and Richard G3CWI’s initial vision for the scheme. There have been several over the years who were hikers that got into AR because of SOTA though. Perhaps the “original” such person was Shirley MW0YLS, now sadly SK, but who was the first GW Mountain Goat, and the first female MG in the whole programme.

Shirley was an accomplished hillwalker who got on a course and took her licence exams solely so she could take part in SOTA. The photo below shows her operating on Mynydd Enlli GW/NW-072 on a memorable SOTA expedition to Bardsey Island.

9 Likes

My friend (a climber not a ham) just sent me a link to the article. Very nice!

1 Like

Congrats Steve for playing a star role in a great article! Should reach a wide audience and it portrays amateur radio in a generally positive way. My cell phone news feed popped up with “Inside the Summit-Obsessed World of Ham Radio” and it sure captured my interest!
Keith KR7RK

2 Likes

Thanks Steve for the link, great article.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Great article, Steve! I usually brace myself for misconceptions about radio and how hams talk on the air in such articles. That one was well edited for accuracy, plausibility and authenticity. Well done to everyone involved.
Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Sympathetically written article - thanks for the info

I have already forwarded the link :smiley:

73 Armin

1 Like

Congratulations, Steve! A feature article in Outside magazine is hitting the big time. This can only be good for ham radio.

I was licensed at age 15 and became a hiking and backpacking enthusiast at age 17. For most of the next 40+ years those two passions were separate and independent. SOTA finally allowed me to combine them, and I’m having a blast with it.

3 Likes

Thanks, Steve! It’s refreshing to see ham radio in a positive light in a
non-ham publication.
I had not known much about SOTA, and attended a club meeting where
Jordan, WC6J gave a presentation on SOTA. I decided to check it
out, and in less than 2 years, I reached 25,000 chaser points on
03/13/21. Chasing has been great! It keeps me in the shack when there’s no DX to chase. Actually, there is DX to be had when working
SOTA activators, too.
John, K6YK

2 Likes

GOOD SHOW, Steve!

1 Like

:+1: Good article Steve and thanks for sharing.

1 Like