SOTA-frequencies on 28 and 50 MHz

Hi.
This is certainly a stupid question, but I did not find anything on the reflector search.
Who can tell me what are the SOTA-qrgs (CW and SSB) on ten and six meters?
These two bands were wide open to Europe today, and I would like to try on my next activations. My IC-706 will do the job :slight_smile:
Mike

There aren’t any SOTA frequencies on any band Mike. However, one can hardly deny the tradition that has grown on 7.032MHz! Usually it’s just a case of watching the alerts and spots.

For a while, I tried to establish 14.013MHz as a regular CW SOTA QRG, and always found that I could use that frequency. However, more recently, the band has been busier and I have had to work elsewhere. I self-spot though, and the chasers find me that way.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Thanks for the info, Tom.
Pity - maybe I must learn how to selfspot with my mobile phone ;-), have never done that.
Mike

In reply to LA5SAA:

Hi Mike

In the early days, when SOTA first started, many CW activators used the recognised QRP frequencies because they used QRP equipment. This caused uproar from the QRP fraternity, because although the activator was using QRP, the chasers were not, and 7030 KHz was being swampted by SOTA activations.

In order to resolve this conflict, SOTA activations moved up or down a couple of KHz from the QRP freqs, so we relocated to 3558, 7032, 10118, 14058, 21058 and 28058 KHz on HF.

However, as the majority of chasers only use one (or two) receivers, these are usually left to monitor 7032 KHz (and sometimes 10118 KHz). Any activator using a different band would have to leave a fairly accurate Alert, or self-spot in order to be found by a chaser.

We have used 7032 KHz for so long now that it will be interesting to see how SOTA develops as we move up a band and relocate on 30 or 20 metres.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to LA5SAA:

As Tom has already said there aren’t any SOTA frequencies on 6m but I have tried to stick to 50.160-ssb so that even if I can’t self spot, I hope some chasers will be able to find me. This is OK on a quiet day but when there is a big opening you have to take what frequency is available. Today looked like a big opening but unfortunately I was stuck in work, just looking at all the activity on www.vhfdx.net .

Good luck on 6 and 10. I hope to hear you on 6 some day.

Robin, GM7PKT.

In reply to LA5SAA:

Mike I normally call on 28.500 ssb then qsy to 28.510 or nearby. Its a lot easier if you can self spot or call a friend to spot you. When the Es season gets into full swing it will be hard to get a clear qrg with all the activity. Dont forget to listen to S America in the afternoon as I`ve heard many PY, LU, ZP & even VP8 on the band. It means re-orienting the dipole 90 degrees but it makes a great difference.

The same as QRP, IOTA, USA-County and many other groups and NETs, SOTA can also recommend their “own” frequencies.
The success of 7032 KHz is proof that we must to do the same on all bands of interest.
I’m aware that nobody from the HAM community can claim “own” frequencies, but we have the same right as all others to recommend the set of frequencies.
We will use them only if they are free.

In reply to LA5SAA:

Pity - maybe I must learn how to selfspot with my mobile phone ;-),
have never done that.

actually it’s very easy … just use the following url:

http://www.sota.org.uk/Spotlite/spot/actCallsign/LA5SAA.P/assoc/LA/summit/HM-001/freq/7.118/mode/ssb/comments/xxxxx/callsign/LA5SAA/password/xxxxx

i stored some bookmarks (for 7mhz, 14mhz, …) on my mobile phone. when connecting to the site you can change the ref-nr., qrg, mode, … very easily. just try it!

it’s important to type in the url exactly (capital letters)!

73 de martin
www.oe5reo.at

In reply to Z35M:

The idea of nominating SOTA frequencies is attractive, but there is one problem - it gives the loonies that like to QRM SOTA activations useful frequencies to lurk on! Despite this, I like the idea!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Agreed Brian, but also monitoring SOTAwatch can give the minority the information that they need.
It would be useful to have a procedure in place to deal with deliberate jamming.
As a starter I would suggest:

1. Don’t mention it as “Idiot jamming” on the air, as this gives them what they want.
  2. A subtle reference to request DF and signal strength (on the higher bands obviously!)by the activator to chasers. Information collated by the activator. This would over time point to a geographical area that could be passed onto the relevant authorities for investigation.

Any thoughts from other SOTA folk? Maybe a good topic for a new thread.

BTW, it was good to talk to you on Thursday night Brian, despite the rain and clouds!

Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G8ADD:

When I was active for few years as ZA/Z35M, one QRM station was especialy devoted to me - hi. I never operated on the same chanel, but he was able to find me all the time. I ignored this QRM continuing to make QSOs. He change the strategy and started to give me fake calls. After this, I started to ignore some of the calls I suspected as a fake one. On the end he give up.
There is no exact formula for prevention against the deliberate QRM.

The QRM hurts much more the low profile SOTA operations.
We are not large group to spread on all spectrum with our weak signals.
I don’t expect SOTA MT to suggest operating frequencies.
Every individual activator must to think and to determine where to operate on the bands in order to maximize the number of QSOs/enjoyment.
The SOTA frequencies will come as mater of tradition, without special decision.
We should focus our operations around some band segments.

In reply to Z35M:
I suggest a general application of what works on 7 megs - an offset of +2 kHz from the QRP frequencies, for CW, and perhaps +5 kHz for SSB?

Brian G8ADD