SOTA-France on Sunday

This morning, whilst replenishing my wine cellar (known as garage in this house), I took the opportunity to make a brief reconnaissance of the two French summits I will be activating on Sunday. The terrain is very similar to that of the South Downs, with relatively flat tops criss-crossed by minor roads. I have established that I can drive into the activation area on both hills and have identified suitable places both to park and to operate. Subject to the weather being kind, I hope to take a larger-than-usual battery and my trusty FT-847, as the carrying distance is insignificant, and will thus be able to run up to 100 watts. Hopefully this will enable my signal to be heard more easily on a busy 40m band on a Sunday morning. Should the weather insist on being inclement, I will revert to the usual 5 watts from my FT-817. Those listening for me on 40m SSB are reminded that France does not yet permit operation above 7.1 MHz, so I’ll look for a gap around 7060 (ever optimistic!!).

Once 40m has been exhausted, I’ll try 2m, both SSB and FM. Other bands may be used if conditions dictate, time allows, and the mood takes me!

Looking forward to getting a lot of new chasers in my log.

73 de Les F/G3VQO/P

In reply to G3VQO:

… and some of the older chasers too, hopefully, Les.

Conditions on 40 have been too poor for inter-G contacts for many weeks, so
I look forward to hearing you from France on Sunday.

73 Roy G4SSH

In reply to G3VQO:
Look forward to working you on the first day of SOTA en France - and enjoy your cellar replenishing (just as, if not more important!).
73 de CRIS
GM4FAM

In reply to G4SSH:

Conditions on 40 have been too poor for inter-G contacts for many
weeks,

They seem to be picking up a bit Roy. I managed quite a few G QSOs on 40SSB today. Maybe summer is on the way at last?

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

They seem to be picking up a bit Roy. I managed quite a few G QSOs on
40SSB today. Maybe summer is on the way at last?

Richard

Could be Richard - first signs here today of neighbours coming out of hibernation. QRM from lawn mowers :frowning: .

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G3VQO:

I have a ski outing to Swiss mountains on the weekend, so France has to wait a few days. This unless the outing is cancelled due to bad weather conditions or high risk of avalanches. We were going to this summit already in 2005, but then the weather became bad at 3200 m and we made a demi-tour. The summit is HB/VS-095 Pointe de Vouasson 3489 m in Valais. I am not sure if I will be able to activate it this time, but I will prepare for it.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G4SSH:

All comments noted. The actual distance from the northern French summits will be about the same as from my home QTH. If I find a distinct lack of UK callsigns in my log on 40m, I will try 3560 before moving to any higher bands. Hopefully though, forty will be in good form …

73 de Les