SOTA FEVER Mt. Erreniega EA2/NV-092 by EA2IF/P on 14/01/2020

After my last birthday activation, the SOTA bug FEVER became stronger and I felt the urgent need to activate again. I cooked lunch for my daughters and myself before they finished their school day at 14h45 local (13h45z) and after having our meals together, I raised an alert, grabbed my rucksack, Lucho, the dog, and left home to drive the 20 minutes to the AZ of Mt. Erreniega to the South of Pamplona.
>Después de la activación de mi último cumpleaños, el bicho de la fiebre SOTA se hizo más fuerte y sentí la urgente necesidad de activar otra vez. Hice la comida para mis hijas y para mí antes de que terminaran su día de colegio a las 14h45 local (13h45z) y después de comer juntos, puse una alerta, agarré mi mochila, a Lucho, el perro, y salí de casa para conducir los 20 minutos hasta la zona de activación del Mt. Erreniega al Sur de Pamplona.

The temperature in Pamplona was 6º C when I was leaving the town at about 14h30z and the summit, nearly 600m higher a.s.l. than the city was obviously colder. The trig point area was being barred by a cold wind from the South, so I decided to set up further to the East, by the VOR facility because it was better sheltered from the South wind.
>La temperatura en Pamplona era de 6º C cuando estaba saliendo de la ciudad a eso de las 14h30z y la cima, cerca de 600m más alta sobre el nivel del mar que la ciudad, estaba obviamente más fría. El área del vértica geodésico estaba siendo barrida por un frío viento del Sur, así que decidí instalar más hacia el Este, junto a las instalaciones del VOR porque está más al abrigo del viento Sur.

I installed my 21m long wire as an inverted vee hanging from my 7m telescopic fishing rod and prepared my shack looking towards the NorthEast with the great views of SOTAs Mt. Alaitz, Mt. Txanburu, Mt. Elomendi and far in the distance, but not as blur as in the following picture I took with my smartphone, the white Pyrenees barrier.
>Instalé mi hilo largo de 21m como una V invertida colgando de mi caña de pescar telescópica de 7m y preparé mi shack mirando hacia el Nordeste con las magníficas vistas de las SOTAs Mt. Alaitz, Mt. Txanburu, Mt. Elomendi y lejos en la distancia, pero no tan borrosos como en la siguiente foto que tomé con mi smartphone, la barrera blanca de los Pirineos.

A closer look of the Pyrenees barrier:
>Una vista más cercana de la barrera de los Pirineos:

When setting up, I had to fix a couple of minor problems: one with the counterpoise wire, which broke at its connection to the socket in the 9:1 unun box and the other with an unexpected high SWR on 20m. The first one was easily fixed thanks to the scissors in the mini Swiss Army knife I always have in my rucksack. The second one was fixed after touching, untightening a bit and tightening back a PL-259 connector.
>Cuando instalaba, tuve que arreglar un par de problemas menores: uno con el cable de contraantena, que se rompió de su conexión al conector en la caja del unun 9:1 y el otro con una inesperada alta ROE en 20m. El primero fue fácilmente arreglado gracias a las tijeras de mi mini navaja del ejército suizo que siempre tengo en mi mochila. El segundo fue arreglado tras tocar, aflojar un poco y volver a apretar un conector PL-259.

These 2 unexpected little problems made me get on air about 15 minutes later than the alerted start time, but my shack got finally ready, I selfspotted for 14.062 and almost immediately Manuel EA2DT came to my rescue, becoming the first QSO in my log by 15h46z. Thank you!
My hands and fingers were getting increasinly numb with the cold temperature because I wasn’t wearing any gloves, but even though I logged 10 QSOs in 21 minutes. This can give you an idea of the slow cadence of chasers today on 20m. K2VV, from the U.S.A., was the only DX contact in this run. The rest of the chasers were from Pamplona, Poland, Sweden, England, Greece, Andalusia (EA7) and Northern Ireland. After a number of unresponded CQ calls, I had a breif pause to take a couple of pictures:
>Estos dos inesperados problemillas me hicieron salir al aire 15 minutos más tarde de la hora anunciada en la alerta, pero mi shack quedó finalmente listo, me autoanuncié en 14.062 y casi inmediatamente vino Manuel EA2DT a mi rescate, convirtiéndose en el primer QSO en mi log a las 15h46z. ¡Gracias!
Mis manos y dedos se estaban entumeciendo cada vez más por el frío ya que no usaba guantes, pero aún así, anoté 10 QSOs en 21 minutos. Esto puede darles una idea de la lenta cadencia de los cazadores hoy en 20m. K2VV, desde los EE.UU., fue el único contacto DX en este tramo. Los demás cazadores fueron desde Pamplona, Polonia, Suecia, Inglaterra, Grecia, Andalucía (EA7) e Irlanda del Norte. Después de algunas llamadas CQ sin respuesta, hice una breve pausa para tomar un par de fotos:

One of my “shack”:
>Una de mi “shack”:

The other one of myself at the shack:
>La otra de mí mismo en el shack:

Then I QSYed to 14.305 SSB, where I logged only 3 QSOs, 1 with EA7 and 2 with EA8. I hope these colleagues from the Canary Islands will upload their chases to the SOTA database.
With no more chasers calling in, I QSYed to 40m SSB, where, after a selfspot for 7.098 SSB, I had a great pileup and logged 46 QSOs in 35 minutes. Most of them were from EA, including chasers from EA8 and EA9 in Africa, but there also were various from Italy, a few from Germany, Portugal, Belgium and a very special cross mode QSO I had with Romanian YO6CFB. He talked to me on CW and I did it on SSB. Great!
When running this pile-up I was having difficulties to write down all callsigns on my paper log due to cold fingers, the speed of the QSOs and the fact that I had to do it with just one hand, because the other hand was holding the microphone and pressing the PTT. I’m going to have to change to a headset with earphones and microphone, instead of using the hand mike.
Sunset was at 16h56z today and it was 17h08 when I logged my last contact on 40m SSB, so it was starting to get dark, very cold and I was starting to shiver. However, the SOTA FEVER was still strong in me and I decided to make a brief second pass by 20m CW.
I selfspotted again on 14.062 and 2 chasers got into the log, one from the Canary Islands (EA8) at 17h13z and the other from the U.S.A at 17h16z. Another US chaser (K7GT) called me and I sent him signal report but he didn’t come back. I called him and sent his signal report 3 or 4 more times but he never showed up again, so I couldn’t log this contact. I kept CQing until 17h20z and having no more callers, I decided to QRT because it was getting really dark and I had not brought a head torch with me for dismantling and pack up.
All in all, 61 QSOs in the log, 2 of which were DX from the U.S.A, various from the Canary Islands (EA8) and two from Ceuta (EA9), being these two dxcc entities in Africa.
>Entonces hice QSY a 14.305 SSB, donde anoté solo 3 QSOs, 1 con EA7 y 2 con EA8. Espero que estos colegas de las Islas Canarias suban sus cazas a la base de datos SOTA.
Sin más cazadores llamando, hice QSY a 40m SSB, donde, después de autoanunciarme en 7.098 SSB, tuve un magnífico pileup y anoté 46 QSOs en 35 minutos. La mayoría eran de EA, incluyendo cazadores desde EA8 y EA9 en Africa, pero también hubo varios desde Italia, unos pocos desde Alemania, Portugal, Bélgica y un QSO muy especial en modo cruzado que tuve con el rumano YO6CFB. Él me hablaba en CW y yo lo hice en SSB. ¡Genial!
Mientras despachaba este pileup tenia dificultades para escribir los indicativos en mi log de papel debido a los dedos fríos, la velocidad de los QSOs y el hecho de que tenía que hacerlo con solo una mano porque la otra mano estaba sosteniendo el micrófono y apretando el PTT. Voy a tener que cambiar a unos microcascos con auriculares y micrófono, en vez de usar el micro de mano.
La puesta de Sol fue a las 16h56z hoy y eran las 17h08 cuando anoté mi último contacto en 40m SSB, así que estaba empezando a oscurecer, a hacer mucho frío y yo estaba empezando a tiritar. No obstante, mi fiebre SOTA era todavía fuerte y decidí hacer un breve segundo pase por 20m CW.
Me autoanuncié nuevamente en 14.062 y 2 cazadores entraron en el log, uno desde las Islas Canarias (EA8) a las 17h13z y el otro desde los EE.UU. a las 17h16z. Otro cazador desde los EE.UU. (K7GT) me llamó y yo le envié reporte de señal, pero él nunca volvió. Le llamé y envié reporte de señal 3 o 4 veces más, pero él nunca volvió a salir, así que no pude anotar este contacto. Sguí llamando CQ hasta las 17h20z y sin más cazadores llamando, decidí hacer QRT porque se estaba haciendo realmente oscuro y no tenía una linterna frontal conmigo para desmontar y recoger.
En total, 61 QSOs en el log, 2 de los cuales fueron DX desde los EE.UU., varios desde las Islas Canarias (EA8) y dos desde Ceuta (EA9), estando estas dos entidades dxcc en Africa.

This is the full log:
>Este es el log completo:

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

When I got to the car, its thermometer told me the outside temperature was 0º C. :cold_face: Brrr!
Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs. I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again soon from a summit.
>Cuando llegué al coche, su termómetro me dijo que la temperatura exterior era 0º C. :cold_face: Brrr!
Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs. Estaré esperando copiarles a todos ustedes pronto de nuevo desde una cima.

Guru

10 Likes

Quite good fever Guru.
Thanks for the QSO earlier in the day.
As you the SOTA FEVER wasn’t felt at all when I back home,
I chased Dani & Borut but I didn’t hear you.
Next free days I still will go to SOTA FEVER …
73 QRO
Roger

1 Like