SOTA dogs on summits part 2 (Part 1)

After a difficult hike and relying on Maggie’s ears and nose where we were experiencing a lot of cougar and bear signs Sunday, she wore her hero cape for a nap on the last summit. She said “no” to some near vertical climbing and brush but at times she’s the wise one!

21 Likes
13 Likes

Mr Brown the dog taking part in some SOTA action in Mid, North and South Wales :blush:

22 Likes

I’m sure this one qualifies as a SOTA dog, even though he is not mine!
Today I activated Gyrn Moelfre GW/NW-049, parking near the start of the path close to the church and phone box.
As I set off, a small black and white dog joined me, trotting along beside, and politely refusing to be sent back. I didn’t encourage him, but he stayed with me right up to the summit.
I thought he would get bored once I set up, and return home. No, he was very interested and sat quietly beside me watching as I worked through 28 stations on 40m SSB.
Time to pack up. I wound one half of the 80/60/40 linked dipole onto its kite winder, and walked off to do the same with the other half. At this point, he decided to help by biting through the wire close to the T piece, and running off with the full winder. I foresaw a lengthy game of catch-me-if-you can, and let out an ungentlemanly expletive, which he correctly interpreted as meaning “please put that down”, which he did immediately.
Having packed up and forgiven him (it will be an easy fix), we set off along the ridge and over the style (I lifted him over this time, rather than leaving him to scrabble through the wire fence). At this point, we saw a couple of walkers coming up from a different direction, and accompanied by a young black labradour - also off the lead.
They became best friends straight away, and it was clearly going to be almost impossible to seperate them. I explained the circumstance, and as the couple were on a circular walk and would be following me down the same way, I left the four of them to head for the summit.
Back at the car, eating my lunch, the small dog reappeared, and was delighted to see me again - until his black lab friend arrived too, of course.
After exchanging pleasantries again, the four of them walked on down the road. Just then, a tractor came down the lane from behind me and the lady with the dogs flagged it down and explained about the dog. I saw the tractor driver pointing over to a farm, and the lady lifted the dog and handed him in to the driver, who continued on his way, turning in towards the farm.
A busy day for a small dog - a long walk, a SOTA activation, practical experience with an aerial wire, a new doggy friend, and a lift home!

17 Likes

… something good to eat … and the dog had a perfect day :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

73 Armin

4 Likes

Roger,
maintenant, je pense à s2s avec chien2chien, hi
73 Martin

3 Likes

Roger.
I hope to take my little girl Malinois, soon to the mountains like you. For now I have to settle for educating her.

11 Likes

Hi Dani,

A great video about training a dog.
Let me write a few comments based on my experience with dogs.
Of course, treat them as a subjective attention - your dog, your decisions :wink:
I know the “click” method, but your personal voice is much better - you will never forget it and you always have it with you :wink:
If you prefer a gesture instead of a voice it may be a gesture but absolutely not on the head, it may be a touch on the chest.
The reaction to exercise fulfilling is too long, the reward is to be given IMMEDIATELY, every delay means that the dog does not know what the reward is for.
We avoid circus tricks like spinning in a circle, sitting on a stump, etc. - such tricks are not needed in life and unnecessarily extend the list of activities that the dog has to be able to do.
In life, it is necessary for the dog to sit down and lay down unconditionally on command - especially the second one may often determine its safety.
When the dog is sitting, we can call him back, when the dog is laying, we have to approach him and sit him before telling him any command.
Very good command ATTENTION !!!
If the dog brings something this thing can not be thrown on the ground, it must be returned to your hand, the dog must sit during the donation.
Bringing of something is very special activity and it is not necessary to manage in our everyday life.
I do not know the steps from the 10th minute of the film.
Food: the dog should sit & wait far away from the bowl, not directly over it.
We never break or disturb dog to eat - this is just additional information :wink:

On the photo - respecting of the quail exercise by my dog Alex:

I wish you all the best with your young girl :wink:

73, Jarek

12 Likes

Hi Dani and Jarek
Zoe seems so cute.
Real Nice idea to make her work.
Malinois needs that « trabajar »
With Nioky I have a problem, he does his job too well. When I go to SOTA and always moving, all is right but as soon as I sit down for radio no-one can approach.
I have to QRX radio and I must order him not to move. In pile up is not funny :crazy_face:, chasers don’t understand what’s happen.

6 Likes

You must be happy, you are safe :smiley: :smiley:

more, more & more rewards for quiet laying needed, it will not be very easy bcse he is adult man but I think after some time it will work well

GL

73, Jarek

5 Likes

I’m sure this one qualifies as a SOTA dog, even though he is not mine!
Today I activated Gyrn Moelfre GW/NW-049, parking near the start of the path close to the church and phone box.
As I set off, a small black and white dog joined me, trotting along beside, and politely refusing to be sent back. I didn’t encourage him, but he stayed with me right up to the summit.
I thought he would get bored once I set up, and return home.

Sounds familiar…

he was very interested and sat quietly beside me watching as I worked through 28 stations on 40m SSB.

Maybe not :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Jarek @SP9MA @F5LKW. I love talking to people who like dog training, like you. You always learn something new!!! I agree with your comments.

The clicker is a tool that works by classical conditioning, and is not social like the voice of the guide. But it enhances the proactivity of the dog in its beginnings. And it captures spontaneous behavior very well.
The confirmation that is seen in the video, perhaps seems somewhat long. And it may seem that the Timming is broken, I admit it, (Dogs only live in the present). But ZOE’s concentration is very good, that’s why I lengthen the Timming.

I use the “trunks” exercise, simply to associate the “HOP” command. To jump anywhere. Like, the luggage rack of the car, a fence, obstacles. They will come in handy for when we go for SOTA activation!!!
The ball exercise was the second time he had done it. And it was a way of introducing her.
When this video was recorded. ZOE had 24 days of training with me. It’s already history!!! ZOE is now 5 months and 20 days old. It works without clicker, voice confirmation, and with intermittent reinforcement. Now, he is in the demanding phase.

It was a pleasure to hear his comments.
Greetings!

73 de Dani EA5M

4 Likes

Hi Dani,

All the best and be happy with Zoe.
Dogs do everything honestly and without any calculations, that is why living with them is wonderful.

73, Jarek

2 Likes

Came across this thread and now I’m really missing Poppy, my crazy tri-colour Border Collie. Rescue dog so bonkers and useless on recall. We walked hundreds of miles together on the hills of Eryri, Lakes & Glencoe. Gone seven years and still missed. They do make the ultimate companion.
Current life too busy to give a dog the attention & exercise it deserves but retirement isn’t too far off….

6 Likes

Our Minituare Schnauzer puppy at 18 weeks on GM/SS-240 today. We had to carry him a lot due to the rough terrain and dense heather, he seems to have enjoyed himself and is now sleeping his first SOTA off on the sofa.

This is a local 1 pointer to me, I have been meaning to tick it off for a while now, today was the day. I had put this one off on many occasions due to the local walk reports, very wet underfoot with a few fences to climb, not as bad as I had read it would be but not very exciting all the same, glad it’s done.

Made a couple of local 2m contacts including one S2S Andy MM0FMF/P on Beinn Ime GM/SS-016. Made a number of contacts on 40m & 20m, I could hear reasonable signals on 10m FT8 but no contacts made on SSB.

73 Till next time.

13 Likes

Beinn Each GM/SS-034 actually. Nice to work for the 1st time and thanks for the S2S.

3 Likes

Apologies Andy, I realise I have not logged you as /P either. Nice to work you also, I was mainly concentrating on HF today but heard Steve call you while I was setting up antennas so it was a hasty contact.

Hope to speak to you again soon.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl: unless it’s a Labrador. In that case everything is calculated and the answer to every calculation is food!

Lovely looking Mallinois Dani. I could have done with the “hop” command a few weeks ago for Penny. Fences were a struggle! Never a problem getting her into the car though, she associates that with long walks with new smells!

6 Likes

it’s not a calculation, it’s an instinct - that’s why I love dogs

building such associations is the key to success in creating your the most sincere friend :wink:

73, Jarek = happy gordon setter dogs owner for 26 years :wink:

4 Likes

The originator of this thread Treacle was back on her favourite summit G/TW-003 Gisborough Moor on Wednesday of this week. She’s coming up to 15 in September and is still a summit capable dog. 44 QSOs in an hour, with 40m open to UK but not mainland EU which I felt was unusual. Gear all checked out for my trip to OK and DL next week.

73 Phil

19 Likes