SOTA day - Sunday 1st April

As most of you will know by now, SOTA-France officially launches on Sunday 1st April. The French team have decided to name 1st April as “SOTA Day”, and it will be publicised in various magazines and newsletters as such. Knowing how enthusiastic the French can be with on-the-air awards, I’m confidently hoping for quite a few potential chasers to be scouring the bands for SOTA stations that day.

There will, obviously, be some activity from French summits, not least by me from a couple near the Tunnel, but it would be great if the neighbouring Associations could “put on a show” that day as well, with some activations to get the new French chasers off to a flying start. Hopefully 40m will be in better form by then, but 80m and 30m could well be useful as well, not forgetting VHF for those close enough.

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

A summit near the channel tunnel ?, sounds like a contradiction in terms HI.

Regards, Mike

PS Is there a list of the French summits anywhere ? Nothing showing in database yet.

In reply to G4BLH:
Try here Summits on the Air
Roger G4OWG

In reply to G3CWI:

OK on the list in the documents section. Unfortunately I cannot drop the list from here into Excel, it puts everything in one column, but once it shows up in the list of summits in the database that can be copied and pasted into Excel in columns.

Regards, Mike

In reply to G4BLH:

In reply to G3CWI:

once it shows up in the list of summits in the database that can be
copied and pasted into Excel in columns.

Noted. There is a tiny glitch at the moment that has delayed uploading the summits to the database but rest assured they will be there by April 1st.

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

Many thanks for that…look forward to it.

Regards, Mike

In reply to G4BLH:

Mike

Just noticed that SW2 has the French summits listed so you can download them now. The ones on the scoring database will appear as soon as they become valid - they are uploaded.

Richard

…except for the F/AM region. The spreadsheet for this one had glitches in it that took me a few days to find. I have not found them, corrected them and uploaded them. SOTAwatch reads the SOTA Database in the middle of the night (I think), so this region won’t actually appear until tomorrow.

In reply to G4BLH:

A summit near the channel tunnel ?, sounds like a contradiction in
terms HI.

Not such a contradiction - you can throw stones into the English end of the Tunnel (not recommended!!) from G/SE-015. The nearest French summits are about a forty-five minute drive from the Calais terminal.

73 de Les

In reply to G3VQO:

All OK Les…I must look on the map to see where SE-015 is.

Many thanks, Mike

In reply to G3CWI:
Hi Richard,

Noted that its in SW2, but will have to wait for database list to get all the info for a particular region at one go (ie inc Lat/Long etc).
I do all my recording via Excel and maintain the Summits list in it (with all the info in one line e.g. name,reference,height in m and ft, lat/long etc) by copying and pasting from the summits info in the database. All I have to do is swap the column order around a bit to match what I already have.

When I type in a summit refence in my scoring section, it automatically puts in the name, point value and totals.

Regards, Mike

Nice to see several more planned activities for 1st April from France. It looks like it will be crowded on 7032 !!!