SOTA database with Android tablets?

I got a 7" Nexus tablet running the Android OS at Christmas which I am using to type this message whilst in Ireland. SOTAWatch runs well on it as do most websites. The one thing I cannot do is log into the SOTA database to enter contacts. I think this is a deficiency within the Android OS. Has anyone else managed to log into the SOTA database using Android?
73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

I’ve just logged in and shown my own activator log on my Android phone running ICS. The menus are challenging to use with a touch screen compared to a mouse. That was with the standard Android browser. It may be better with Firefox for Android but I haven’t tried that yet on my phone.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OBK:
I have an HP tablet that runs WebOS. Like you it is fine on SotaWatch but on SotaData the browser cannot expand the top level menus and so I cant use the database facilities. SotaWatch obviously uses a more browser neutral menu system.

73s Andrew G4AFI

In reply to G4OBK:

I can logon using the ‘inbuilt’ browser, but trying with Opera it looks as if none of the ‘menus’ do anything.

This is with Android 4.0.3 via wifi.

Don

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil I’m using a Toshiba AT300 (with Android ice cream sandwich standard browser) and also found it difficult to access the database. But after a few attempts can now get in easily.

It might depend on the browser but mine works by “click and hold” on the logon/off icon, once the drop down appears you can then log on.

Try different gestures and see what works for you.

Carolyn

In reply to G6WRW:

I have an Android phone Phil and the built in browser is ok-ish. Using it I cannot operate the links at the top of the SOTA database.

However, I use Opera Browser and with it I can access the SOTA database links for one good reason. I’m not sure about your tablet, but on my phone it has a little joystick thing at the bottom and when using this in Opera you get a mouse pointer. Hovering over the links is then simple and acts just like using it on a PC.

As far as I know, Opera is the only browser on Android with this feature.

Hope that helps,

Rob

In reply to G6WRW:

It may shock some people but your database manager might well be working on the most bleading edge hardware at work but I’ve only just moved to a modern phone at home. We wont talk about the main Windows PC in the shack!

Tablets will continue to become more and more popular so I think there will have to be an improvement to the UI for tablet/phone users. I’m hoping that only the menus will need tweaking. However, implementing some S2S and awards checking code is the main focus right now so I can’t promiss an update soon.

It should be possible to save a bookmark to the “enter a chase page”. Then on selecting that page if you are not logged in you will get redirected to the log on page then back to the enter chase page. That way you wouldn’t have to use the menus at all. I’ll have a play later and post some suggestions if it seems to work.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OBK:
Hi Phil,

On my Viewpad 7 It seems the best way is to expand the display to nearly full size which makes it easier to access the drop-down menus.

73, Derek

In reply to G6WRW:
"It might depend on the browser but mine works by “click and hold” on the logon/off icon, once the drop down appears you can then log on. "

“Plus one” for that approach. Fiddly but it does work.

Android mobile (HTC Desire HD.

Gerald
2W0GDA

In reply to G4OBK:
With my original Samsung Galaxy tab, which being now rather old is stuck on Android 2.3 the trick is to rest a finger on the button till the drop down menu appears, then drag that finger down to the choice I want to make, then quickly lift finger and tap it back on the button.
73 Jim G0CQK

In reply to G7LAS:

I have an Android phone Phil and the built in browser is ok-ish. Using it I cannot operate the links at the top of the SOTA database.

I think this takes a little skill Rob in that on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) the drop down menus do appear, but are rather erratic. The best way I’ve found is to touch the link and when the drop down menu appears, I slide my finger onto it and it normally stays put allowing me to select the required operation. This seems to be an issue related to the slow speed of the standard Android browser.

Thanks for the tip on Opera. I will give that a try, but quite frankly after a hard day out walking and activating all I really want is a shower, a change of clothes, food, a beer and a good night’s kip. Putting the logs onto the database can definitely wait until I get home. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Edit: Oh, reading that again, most people do go home after activating. Only a few of us activate “en bloc” and stay away from home between activations. Perhaps I should have just written - definitely wait until later. :slight_smile:

In reply to G4OBK:

My HTC phone has android 2.3.5 & I can log on & use the database ok. Only thing is I have to enlarge everything to avoid touching 3 or 4 menus with my fat fingers. Well done on MG btw (what took you so long!).

In reply to G4OBK:

I too have the nexus 7 inch tablet.
I find that resting my finger on the logon/logoff button will drop the menu down. Sometimes it opens the new window dialogue but a small tap elsewhere will close that and then allow access to the options. One tap on login and then the login page opens.
From there no problem to get things entered. Sometimes I find making the screen larger, with the two finger gesture, makes it easier to select the right option.

I am running Android version 4.2.1.

P.S. I’ve just saved a favourite of SOTA Database and now I just go there to login and that is even easier.

Thank’s all. After reading your excellent advice I did get into the database using the point and hold technique and opening up the database in a new window. Thanks to Andy FMF for his ongoing work in the various aspects of the database. It’s quite some task.
These tablets are proving extremely useful with free WiFi networks now appearing in all sorts of places, meaning its easy to grab a sneaky look at Sotawatch when away from the home QTH.
73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

… its easy to grab a sneaky look at Sotawatch when away from the home QTH.

Sure is Phil, even with a standard Android phone. It was invaluable for putting alerts on SOTAwatch when Paul and I were up in Orkney and the last time out in GM/SS I updated our alerts from the Travelodge. Even used the mobile to put alerts on when I was in Portugal last summer. Much easier than the Spotlite system with the old Nokia mobile. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OBK:

Phil, this maybe the easiest way to enter chases.

Goto this address…

http://www.sotadata.org.uk/logon.aspx?returnurl=addChaser.aspx

Login as normal and you will get the normal login screen which shows your details etc. Hit the “Continue” button underneath your details and then you should be sent to the page to add your chase.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Yes Andy link worked very well. Now saved as a bookmark. I managed to log the short activation I did today from IE-072 using the tablet. Currently at airport on our way home.
Many thanks
Phil