SOTA Cyclists ... activate the most popular SOTA

…an idea. A SOTA cycling weekend - Summer 2013

Friday arrive at Macclesfield Railway Station: check in to Travelodge (opposite station). Curry at Weston Balti Raj.

Saturday: cycle through Peak to Gun SP-013 (SOTA#4), mass activation. Move on to Cloud SP-015 (SOTA#1) for further activation. Return to Macclesfield for real ale tour and festivities.

Sunday: early start to activate Shining Tor SP004 (SOTA#3). Final beer in the famous Cat and Fiddle pub, ride back to Macclesfield Railway Station for trip home.

Any interest?

Richard
G3CWI

PS Overseas activators welcome - Manchester International Airport is a cycle ride away from Macclesfield.

In reply to G3CWI:

PS Overseas activators welcome - Manchester International Airport is a
cycle ride away from Macclesfield.

Hello Richard
Lovely idea for summer.
For overseas people ~~ where do their bikes come from? Do you have spares? I am thinking of a German op. friend who may be interested.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:
I rather thought they would bring their bikes with them. Bikes are pretty international these days. 73 Richard G3CWI.

In reply to G3CWI:
Count me in for that! I’d need dates quickly though as my diary fills up madly during the summer.

Sue and I would come on our tandem… if I could just get her to take her Foundation licence she could operate /M from the back seat.

Might ride from our home QTH in Mold in fact.

Gerald
2W0GDA

In reply to G3CWI:

Bikes are pretty international these days.

Ah yes but don’t forget that British bikes have special wheels that are more round (as was suggested in the recent Olympics) and thus it would cause dreadful spares issues if overseas bikes were brought in. :slight_smile:

Wonderful idea Richard… I could be interested.

73 Marc G0AZS

My son in law lives on the higher ground above Holmfirth only a few miles from Black Hill SP-002. He is a keen cyclist (mountain & road) as I used to be. He has a special hard case for transporting his bike and is flying with it to Majorca again next month.

73 Phil (Still cycling but only local errands, shopping etc)

Okay; looks like we have a core of interested people. I will start investigating some safe places to leave bikes - starting with the Travelodge. There are farms close to Gun and The Cloud that might let us leave bikes there. Possibly The Cat and Fiddle has an outhouse. I will check.

My bright red racer looks far too tempting to leave anywhere!

Richard
G3CWI

PS I had this idea while cycling up to Gun yesterday; 40km, 1015m ascent, a puncture and a frozen cyclist. No activation as had not intended cycling up there and did not have radio or lock.

I could cycle to TW-004 from my QTH in Pickering. About a 40 mile round trip. Maybe next year (:-)> on a nice bright day, as I have already activated it last week for my 2013 point!

The only ones I have cycled to previously are Rogan’s Seat NP-014(I know you have cycled to that one Richard from a report you did) and part way to Mickle Fell NP-002 where it is quite safe to lock your bike up and walk the last mile to the top. I know G4YSS has also cycled up a few, Mickle Fell for one. I wouldn’t take your lightweight on either though!

One thing to mention about Rogan’s seat, the gamekeeper from the Gunnerside wasn’t too impressed when he say I had cycled up to the top of Rogan’s Seat…fortunately by that time I had made over 20 QSOs before I decided to pack up and leave.

Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

I could cycle to TW-004 from my QTH in Pickering. About a 40 mile
round trip. Maybe next year (:-)> on a nice bright day, as I have
already activated it last week for my 2013 point!

For us Mountain Goats the points are not the point!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Yes Richard I might manage a day - say the Sunday ascent of the pass. I could offer the stoker seat on my tandem to another activator or come on my solo touring bike. I’ve not seen the view from Shining Tor - it was a complete white out when I went up with Sean. After the rugby season ends in May ? I’m committed to taking my sons to play matches for Wolverhampton RUFC on Sundays.

The travel fishing poles that fit in suitcases will make this so much easier. I wonder how much clobber our Mickey YYY could get into a bike trailer HI ?

How about based in Bala one year? That would make for some epic cycling and SOTA!
My cycling SOTA to date are the tour from home to get to Cadair Idris in '10 and South Downs summits during Tandem 2010 including G/SE-006 Ditchling Beacon solo on the tandem [family all riding their own solo bikes leaving me without crew].
David M0YDH

Went to visit Travelodge. They have a huge secure basement - no public access - they are happy for us to store bikes there.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Went to visit Travelodge. They have a huge secure basement - no public
access - they are happy for us to store bikes there.

My experience with Travelodge is you just take your bike into the room. Done it loads of times without complaint. In fact it’s normally 4+ bikes at any one time!

I certainly be up for the weekend but it all depends on when it is. I work shifts and its not always possible to be off on the days of my choice.
I’d like to do it as a circular tour, starting Cheltenham on Friday morning and activating a couple on the way to Macclesfield. Then after the weekend, cycling back and activating a couple more on Monday.
I’ll have to do some route planning…
The beer and ale sound great!
Pete

Progress today: cycled up to Gun and have found a place to leave bikes while we activate - farm just below summit are happy for us to leave them there. Nice and safe.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Any ideas for a date yet please Richard?

I’d like to nail down my diary.

Gerald
2W0GDA

DATES:

31 May arrive at Travelodge

1 June Gun and Cloud

2 Jun Shining Tor

Travelodge has good availability on these nights.
Please make your own bookings direct with the hotel. Let me know when you have booked as the numbers will need to be factored into the overall arrangements.

Travelodge Macclesfield Central Hotel
Castle House
Gas Road
Macclesfield
SK11 6JS

Tel: 0871 984 6432

Richard
G3CWI

PS do people want to do the Saturday run under some sort of Audax rules?

Saturday I work all day though the Sunday I’m free. G/NP-028 Rombalds Moor is 14km from my qth line of sight. Obviously more on the bike but I could easily drop down onto the Leeds - Liverpool canal and cycle to the swing bridge where I could turn right and ride up to the summit.

Good luck to those taking part and a S2S or two would be nice.

Chris M0RSF

In reply to G3CWI:

Any interest? Dates above.

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G3CWI:

Any interest? Dates above.

Unfortunately I’m working that weekend and no way of getting cover for leave.

Hope it goes well.

Pete

In reply to G3CWI:
Dash it. I’ll be en France sur le tandem.
http://events.tandem-club.org.uk/events/tci2013
Hope it goes well, I was REALLY interested in doing this event too.

Gerald
2W0GDA

In reply to 2W0GDA:

I’ll be en France sur le tandem.

Avez vous un cuppa?

ANdy
MM0FMF