SOTA CW for beginners

Another +1 for morse runner.

I started SOTA with CW and still haven’t made many SSB Q’s. Most north american chasers are CW people it seems. Even with the KX3 cranked up to 10W I’ve had poor luck.

The #1 tip I can add is add to your alert “PSE QRS”, it always got people to slow down for me when I first started.

1 Like

Konrad -

I have operated 95% CW for the last 56 years and I am both a chaser and activator. The “old school” rule is that one should answer a CQ at the same speed at which it is sent. So if you send your CQ slowly, it would be good form for the chasers to also send slowly.

As suggested by another, try to at least copy a part of a call and then send that part with a question mark for a repeat. Continue the process until you have the complete call.

Remember, as the activator you set the pace and you should expect the chasers to follow your lead. As another said, the chasers want the points and will operate accordingly. So if you ignore the speedy stations, the chasers will come to understand what is needed.

Best of luck with the activations. Don, AC7P

2 Likes

Another vote for “Go for it!”

QRS PSE is your friend, for sure. We were all at that stage of learning at one time. Most of us remember it well, so it gives us a big grin knowing somebody else is now on the road to CW fluency.

To be quite truthful, I find higher speed CW in marginal/QRP conditions to be sub-optimal. Static crashes and QRM cover up too much. Far better to be understood at 15-18 WPM in a single try than three tries at 30 wpm, which is why I prefer a straight key. I also find I send better with a straight key if my hands are cold or I’m really tired. Besides, people walking by seem more impressed with straight key sending for some unknown reason!

There are ops out there who have their egos tied up in their CW speed, but I don’t see that in SOTA. So ask for repeats where you need them and have a lot of fun. Your skills will improve quickly with actual operation.
Bruce WB8OGK

4 Likes

Thank you all. I still remember my first SSB activation, when I was making simple mistakes including answering QRZ instead of QSL when asking if my recipient understood me… :smiley:
Still finding it sentimental to remember discharging my first pile-ups.

If SOTA community is so forgiving and understanding, I might possibly go for it. “No pain no gain” :blush:
I still have a few days to abandon this crazy idea, just in case.

Do it. Send slower than you can really receive, ignore the operators who don’t understand and won’t adopt your speed. You need a few WPM “up your sleeve” to cater for nerves and QRM, it really makes a big difference.

You’ll be so glad you took the plunge.

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

1 Like

…and if you find you’ve started too fast, don’t be afraid to slow down. Chasers will get the hint. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Konrad

I’m in the same situation – i’m learning CW and „on air“ i have much more Problems as from the Computer.
This August I go to Iceland and into Areas where no Handy will work and no Digipeater is in reach –
so RBNHole will be the only way for spotting !
I go and try – and hope, the Chasers will accept my QRS :slight_smile:

Have Fun
Peter

1 Like

What is the best practice and training method when aspiring towards CW SOTA activations?

The answer is - CW SOTA activations!

I did my first SOTA activation when I was at 10wpm with my CW. It was successful with 18 contacts, although some chasers had to be ignored because they were sending too fast for me. The main point though is that once I started doing CW SOTA activations, my CW began to improve rapidly.

“Rubber stamp” QSOs are absolutely fine for CW SOTA activations, and in most cases it’s still what I do today. In fact it is advantageous if there is a big pile-up.

So, yes, definitely, it looks like you’re ready to get out there and do a CW activation.

3 Likes

I can tell you about my story: I’m so glad I decided to step into CW activation!

It’s been a long time since I started practicing, off the bands, sending with my brain at home, sending car plates while driving, and in the last months following a CW training course that our dear friend EA2LU (and sometimes EA2BD too) is doing here locally on VHF, with a lot of patience.
Then, one day I felt brave enough and went to activate one summit on CW starting with a “PSE QRS” message.

The nervousness, some band noise in the background, some pile-up, the unconfort trying to sit on the ground holding the rig, the logbook, the pencil, the key and the mobile phone for the spots… Everything at the same time!!

Chasers do have patience; they repeat and repeat their calls and reduce their speed.
Sometimes the noise or QSB makes you doubtful: was that last beep the end of a “B” or was that a “6”?
I sometimes feel frustrated having to ask them AGN once more…

Some chasers are impatient, they send only twice and when they see my unexpertise they simply dissapear.
They lose my points and I keep sending alone: AGN? AGN?

Some chasers adapt to the situation; they wait, reduce their speed and send spacing well the characters for me to understand easily.
What a joy to get their call completed straight!

Then it’s time to send XX0XX GA TNX UR 559 BK, I do it more or less fluently, I receive the exchange and we say goodbye and 73.
When I finish and observe my book, full of marks and corrections, I enjoy the view from the summit. I feel really relaxed and satisfied. Next time I’ll do it better!

Thanks to the chasers for their patience, that way I’ll improve.
I’m glad I stepped into CW!

73 es CU de Santi

9 Likes

Conrad:

I recently ALSO took the “bull-by-the-horns” and tried a 30 meter CW activation. My comfortable code speed is around 12 WPM. Called CQ SOTA 2X and got a pile-up. Everyone that wanted to work me on the summit was DOWN to my speed level so no problem there. Some QSB made the copy difficult on some call letters, but everyone kept at it until I got them in my logbook!

GO FOR IT. YOU WILL BENEFIT GREATLY FROM THE EXPERIENCE!

GL, 73, Chuck - KA5PVB
West Texas

5 Likes

Hi Konrad!

I agree with the others, just go for it! Use QRS, as it makes things much easier and will let you be more comfortable in both sending and copying. After about two years of making CW SOTA QSOs as a chaser, I yesterday finally did my first activation, in CW! My initial plan was to do the activation in SSB, but I really wanted to do it in CW, and already was thinking about doing it QRS. But like you I still had doubts. Then your post appeared and it was this and the reactions from the SOTA community to it that gave me the little push I needed to take the plunge. And for a first time, and despite being very nervous, I believe I did very well. I was sending at 12 WPM, and all chasers adapted to my speed and were very cooperative and patient. I made 8 contacts and one of them was SQ6GIT!! I didn’t realize yesterday that it was you! This really adds another special touch to the story! You can read more about my first SOTA and CW activation and see some photos on my blog at http://pa7mdj.blogspot.com
Thanks for the QSO, Konrad and best 73 from the Netherlands! Hope to work you soon in CW again, maybe on a summit somewhere in Poland or Ukraine!

2 Likes

Konrad,
Interestingly, on my activation yesterday I had a few stations call in at quite high speed (compared to my 18wpm call). Listening back to the recording I made (for a video) I think all but one slowed down significantly on their next over to match my speed…that’s better than I normally experience having standard QSOs.
When I first started using CW for SOTA I would spot myself on SOTAWatch and add a comment “QRS PSE” and most chasers are very good. The bottom line is that you, as the ‘DX’, are in control so if someone goes too fast just keep ignoring them until they slow down :o)
One thing I did capture yesterday is the ‘wall of noise’ when the chasers find you…you hear me call twice with no response then after the third call loads of stations suddenly call in and it is impossible at first to pick out a call…eventually someone will get a partial call in the clear and then you just send what you heard followed by a question mark like “G0P?”. At one point I only managed to hear an ‘L’ so sent “L?”…that limited the the noise to just LA1ENA and DL1FU so I picked the one I could copy best and worked one after the other.
It’s scary but exhilarating when you first try a CW SOTA…just do it!

Michael (G0POT)

3 Likes

Thanks - I think I did 15wpm with you as I saw in the spot you accept 12-15. I hope still good with you - I saw you logged me as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Michael, thanks - the rules you mention make sense. The only thing is which of them will I remember when on a summit. :joy:

But seriously - to all - thanks for a good bunch of good advice, all appreciated and I dry-learnt them, indeed it will take a while before they become habits, but good

No problem copying you at 15 WPM, Konrad :slight_smile: I think I’ll do fine at higher speeds as well, but just to be on the safe side, I mentioned accepting up to 15 WPM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just post a note in your alert PSE QRS NEW CW OP. Many will be more than happy to slow down and work through any errors/mistakes etc. Those who don’t obviously aren’t interested in making the contact. I’ve always said the best way to get better and become proficient once you have all the characters in your head is to get on the air, screw it up, and repeat. No fear, no worries! None of us had our first CW QSOs at 20+wpm!

3 Likes

Rob - this is exactly what I have been looking for!! someone to give a breakdown of what is “said” in a typical exchange…off to try a bit of chasing first!

1 Like

You go for it, I’ve been doing CW for 15 years now and still struggle. At the grand age of 63 I thought what have I got to lose by making mistakes. Absolutely nothing and my skill level has increased by doing so. Like you I struggle with call signs, so I just ask the station to repeat. Those that don’t have the patience can always not respond but I find the CW fraternity very patient and willing.

So JDI as they say and enjoy the hobby for all the extra facets it brings. Good luck to you

Kindest regards

73 de M0AZE Mike

1 Like

Another good option is to use the G4FON software to listen to a text file or Just learn Morse Code, for this you could use the list of the 50 Most Popular Summits copy & paste the summit references onto a text file and play using either software.

Hope this helps
Graeme

1 Like

Hi Konrad,

I’m another who will say just go for it, you are more than ready at 18WPM.

Another way to prepare yourself for activating is simply chasing SOTA, or listening to other activators. Listen to how they operate & see how many of the chaser call signs you can read. Dependent on the bands you listen on, you may find the same chasers calling you on your activation!

Best of luck!

73, Mark G0VOF

1 Like