SOTA Carts for OFs?

Purely the human-powered sort is what I have in mind. Does anyone use some type of frame with a couple of wheels to take the load off? I am asking because I discovered recently that I will be punished by days of lower back pain if I carry more than a couple of pounds. I’m not into pack animals of any kind and I’m too stubborn to give up activating, so wheels it must be.

Since I’m already age-limited to fairly short hikes up a few summits with good access, a wagon or cart wouldn’t cramp my style at all. The question is, must I invent the wheel (so to speak) or has someone already explored the options and found a workable solution?

Pictured below is a hunter’s game hauler that comes close to what I have in mind, but it weighs more than I’d like because it’s made of steel tubing:

Gary, K9ZMD
Ridgefield, WA

http://www.eckla.de/en/eckla-beach-rolly-models.html

Can carry equipment on reasonably good terrain, and you can sit on it afterwards.

Available from many dealers and on eBay: Shop by Category | eBay .

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kIE8GDYzTs

1 Like

Christophe, thank you for those links. This one looks very promising. It is smaller and made of aluminum (I think), so it should be much lighter than the game hauler that I found.

The cost would be greater (double+?), but I would be more concerned about those pneumatic tires. Himalayan blackberry “weeds” are everywhere in this area, and have wicked thorns. It would be perfect with semi-pneumatic replacement tires made of hard rubber. 73
Gary, K9ZMD

Hi,

There are also golf bag carriers and golf bags with wheels - good for narrower tracks. What about a shopping trolly of the two wheel kind or a wheel barrow?

Ron
OF

Hi Gary,

We have a gas cylinder trolley at work and it has similar tyres to those in the picture but they are a sort of foam filled inner so no punctures. They do look a did small for certain terrain I presume.

Neil

Goats are the way forward. Tried and tested solution.

Update: The replies to my OP were much appreciated. I really needed to know about my options before making any decision.

The cart project is now finished and ready for activating. I settled on the cheapest option, a game hauler much like the one pictured in my OP. Once I had the cart assembled, I was pleased to discover that an old external frame pack will fit neatly onto it. The existing pack straps fasten it snuggly in place without any need to modifiy the pack or the cart.

Project costs: Hauler, $65; pack, $13 at a thrift shop.

But wait, there is more! This cart will also support an antenna mast because a couple of cross-pieces are well-positioned to brace a pole perfectly upright. Only two hook & loop straps will be needed to hold the pole securely in place.

2 Likes

I’ve seen hikers using sort of “wheeled pulkas”, very light carts that just consist of an axle with two smallish bicycle wheels, a light platform on top, and two bamboo or fiberglass poles that those people hooked onto their belts so that they could pull the whole thing. Might look funny, but surely does the job and leaves the hands free.

73, Jan-Martin

Nice pictures, Gary, and an elegant solution! Do you use a couple of tent pegs to stop it from tipping when the antenna is erected?

I also enjoyed seeing what looked like rhododendron catawbiense in it’s home environment - I have one in my collection here.

Brian

There’s a dutch company that make ones with useful things like a waist harness. They cost a bit more than 78 USD, mind you.

I just load these two up…

1 Like

Brian,

Yes, tipping forward was a problem. I think I can improve stability somewhat by lengthening the shoulder straps so the load shifts downward to a position behind the axle. Configured as you see it, though, setting a big rock on the bottom of the cart frame kept it from tipping. I thought about using tent pegs, but figured the lever-shaped cart could extract them too easily. Anyway, the rock was closer to hand.

Caveat: I only used a 19’ pole and vertical wire antenna in dead calm, so it was not really a rigorous test. Any added force or leverage (dipole ant or a longer pole) would probably demand a set of guy lines.

The rhody . . . given the heavy shade cast by numerous fir and big leaf maple trees in our 1-acre forest, we are happy to see any blossoms at all.

Gary, K9ZMD

Thanks, I didn’t see those during my earlier research. Yes, they are are really elegant, and with a price tag to match.

Tom, those youngsters look like great helpers; bet you guys have lots of fun together. Don’t work 'em too hard, though . . . remember, they will get to choose your nursing home.

WOW! You’re not kidding!

We are not that young any more, this photo was taken over 10 years ago. I was the one in the yellow coat.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like