SOTA as an extreme Sport

Hi SOTA-Friends

As some of you maybe know, my YL Carine, HB9FZC and I love to combine our activations with real big mountain-hikes - prefered in the Swiss High-Alps. It needs sportive training over the whole year to be able to activate real big summits as for example the “Stellihorn”, HB/VS-100. So that Carine and I will be ready for such great adventures, it was becoming nessecary now to make a first fitness-test: So we started Wednesday, 5.June from the village Erlenbach in the “Simmental” on 750m a.s.l. to activate the “Cheibehorn” HB/BE-148, the “Stockhorn” HB/BE-103 and the “Lasenberg” HB/BE-141. On the first two summits we used the KH1 and activated in CW only on 20m and 40m, because we didn’t want to loose too much time - it worked great :grin: On the third summit it was our goal to work also some DX - We brought up HB9NBGs Clever-Whip Kit in Place and could work some US-East- and US-Westcoast-states as well as Japan and some European stations on 17m in CW with the KX2 - that setup works really awesome :nerd_face: At the end we hiked 24km and made an elevation of 1’930m in the accent and the same in the descend. We were in move 7hrs and 6mins :astonished:

Now, come with us and enjoy the the awesome SOTA-activation…

hpe cu soon on-air agn :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

29 Likes

Bravo Ihr zwei seit ja Super drauf.
Hoffe Trotzdem euch wieder mal S2S zu Arbeiten Das Mikro nicht Vergessen.
Bis zur Ham Radio 73
IW3AGO Heini

2 Likes

Hallo Heinrich

Ja, das Mikrofon ist immer mit dabei, und hin und wieder sind wir auch in SSB QRV :nerd_face: Die Bedingungen sind allerdings schon ziemlich strange im Moment :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Wir werden wieder am ELECRAFT-Stand sein zusammen mit Eric und freuen uns auf ein Wiedersehen mit Dir :grin:

1 Like

Hi,

I activated the “Cheibehorn” HB/BE-148 today, but I have to admit that I caught the cable car!!

3 Likes

The best time, from minute 12:40, hydration is essential :rofl:
73 José

2 Likes

Hi Colwyn, We’ve seen your spot - but unfortunately a little bit too late to chatch you on-air :smirk: We really were waiting for your spots on the other 2 summits as well :sweat_smile: …but hope to hear you soon again - at latest in our bif SOTA-Summer-Break :grin: Or maybe see you in Friedrichshafen? Carine and I will operate the both of ELECRAFT together with Eric :smiley:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG

2 Likes

Hi José, thanks for coming back on the second summit :nerd_face: Your signal is always tremendous :grin: …and yes, the first sip of cold beer after the tour is always great :yum: :beers: …a SOTA-Tour without a cold beer at its end would be like a hiking-tour without a SOTA-activation :upside_down_face:

hpe cu agn es vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

4 Likes

Hello Rene! I was surprised to be able to hear you from Lasenburg!
There have been no hearable European SOTA signals for a long time
at my QTH in California. I was expecting that you were running maybe
50 watts or more. Great work with the QRP!
73,John, K6YK

2 Likes

Yes, I deserved your response, but I was quickly back down in the valley to avoid the thunder storm, and I had activated them both before in September 2022.

Sadly I’ll not be in Friedrichshafen.

Ciao

2 Likes

Hi John! Yes, that was a great DX-activation :grin: we were very surprised, that it worked in both diections on 17m; to JA and to you in California :nerd_face: We launched HB9NBGs Clever-Whip Kit in February of this year; first our goal was to create a DX-antenna for 10m only, but as it worked great, we have developed it into a multiband version, with which we have already been able to work all continents with 10W - both in CW and even in SSB :grin: We could hear you already on your very first call, but with a lot of QSB, and there was a huge Pile-Up :astonished: So we were very happy, that it finally worked anyway - thanks very much for your patience :nerd_face:

Hope to meet you soon again on one of our next SOTA-Activations - maybe next time Carine will be the lucky one :+1:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG

2 Likes

Oh yes, I think, that was a good decision, because with the wx, that we have at the moment, you never know, when the next rain-shower comes up :cold_face: Well done! That’s a pitty, that you’re not at the HAM RADIO :smirk: But maybe we’ll meet someday on a summit :nerd_face:

vy 73 de René

2 Likes

BTW: Here’s the Map with the QSOs, that we’ve made at this day:

3 Likes

Nice! I love this type of SOTA. I activated Granite Peak, Montana a few years ago. I did the whole thing in about 20 hours. 27 Miles, 7,000 feet of elevation gain plus a few hundred feet of 5th class rock climbing. I am now in Alaska and have plans to do it even bigger. Awesome stuff on the activation, its not fun unless its dangerous =]

4 Likes

Hi Rob

Wooow, that sounds great :sweat_smile: That is a tremendous lenghts of hike :astonished: 5th class rock climbing is at least one step too big for us :sweat_smile: Our skills in climbing are limited in class II, but it’s fun anyway on SOTA-activations in this class :grin:

We look forward to read from your big adventures in Alaska and hope to meet you some day on a S2S :+1:

3 Likes

Fantastic set of activations and a great video!

3 Likes

Hi Gerald and many thanks for your compliments :nerd_face:

hpe cu soon on a S2S :grin:

3 Likes