SOTA Activations During My Portuguese Camino to Santiago de Compostela

Hello fellow radio enthusiasts,

I wanted to share with you my upcoming adventure, where I’ll be combining two of my biggest passions: walking and amateur radio. On September 19th, I’ll be starting the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon, aiming to reach Santiago de Compostela in about a month. Along the way, I’ll also take a detour to Fatima, and after Santiago, I’m considering extending my journey to Finisterre.

As a ham radio operator (CT7/IU8QTM in Portugal, EA/IU8QTM in Spain), I’m bringing my portable (tr)uSDX and a homemade End Fed antenna. Throughout the journey, I’ll be attempting SOTA activations whenever possible, activating references I encounter along the route. I’ll be operating on HF, mainly in the 20 and 40-meter bands, depending on where I am and how I can set up my station. My goal is to log each QSO and send out QSL cards once I return home.

I’ll also be documenting my journey on my website iu8qtm.eu and my YouTube channel Onde Radio in Cammino, where I’ll share my experiences both as a walker and as a ham radio operator. If you’re interested in following along, I’ll be posting regular updates on my Instagram account, sharing my location and any successful radio setups.

If anyone has suggestions or advice, I’d be happy to read them—they will surely be helpful during my journey.

I hope to connect with some of you during the activations. Thank you for your support, and I look forward to sharing this journey with you!
73!

8 Likes

I am starting in Porto on the 20th, so I may be a few days ahead of you. I may be able to set you up for some completes. We are doing smaller days as 2 of the people in my group have asked for 16-18km days so you may actually pass me.

de CT/N6JFD/P

5 Likes

hello and thanks for the message! I hope to meet you on the air but also during the walk. Buen Camino

3 Likes

Hello Emilio!
If you bring with you VHF, try local SOTA freq. 145.525 MHz. While you walk it Will be usefull to you the repeater 145.625 tone123, from Serra de Arga. I Will be QRV to your portuguese call CT7/IU8QTM/P. 73 CT2IQK Jorge.

1 Like

Hello Jamie!

If you bring with you VHF, try local SOTA freq. 145.525 MHz. While you walk it Will be usefull the repeater 145.625 tone123, from Serra de Arga if you want to QSO Emilio.
I Will be QRV to your portuguese call CT7/N6JFD/P or EA1/N6JFD/P
73 de CT2IQK Jorge.
Send a Message if you pass in Barcelos or Braga. See you!!

1 Like

What a joy Emilio! I am excited to follow your adventure of combining radio and Camino Portuguese, and from Lisbon with the trusdx!! I hope to be able to make some contact with you.
If you accept my advice, take a walkie with you to do U/V, It is super interesting to feel close to the colleagues local where you pass the road. Try to be on the repeaters in the area to feel accompanied.
When you get to the Spanish area you have the following repeaters:
VHF: Baiona 145.675 MHz -600 kHz FM No Subtone.
Vigo 145.725 MHz -600 kHz FM Subtone 77
Padrón 45.650 MHz -600 kHz FM No Subtone
UHF: Pontevedra 38.875 MHz FM -7.6 MHz Subtone 88.5 Hz
Vilagarcia (the BEST) 439.000 MHz FM -7.6 MHz Subtone 77.0 Hz
(Font: Repetidores y balizas - Unión de Radioaficionados Españoles)

I have doubts if you are going to do the Camino Portuguese close to the coast or the inland route. The inside one, in a quick look, it seems more accessible to SOTAs without much detour from the road.

What a great month we are going to spend following your Camino!! Good luck and Buen Camino Peregrino!! 73!