SOTA activation to coincide with Light Up 2 Meters FM Simplex event on April 25th 6pm-8pm?

There’s an event coming up to encourage the use of 2m FM Simplex. Is anyone going to do an activation to coincide? I’m going to try and get to a summit activate it on 2m FM during the 2 hour event window.

At least around here, 2m FM is a very active SOTA band/mode. A person could easily activate a number of summits with nothing but a 2m HT and an improved antenna (half-wave whip, yagi, jpole, etc). This could be a good way to encourage new Techs to do something besides talk on repeaters. :slight_smile:

Chris

1 Like

Chris: Sounds cool. Local event to you? When / where?

As far as I’m aware, it’s a global event, but runs 6pm-8pm local time on April 25th this Spring. Apparently the do one once or twice a year.

I know not everybody uses Facebook, but this seems to be the only up-to-date page for it this year:
(1) Light Up 2 Meters Night 6PM - 8PM Local Time | Facebook

It’s hosted by the 2m Simplex Group:
(1) 2 Meter FM Simplex | Facebook

Chris

I’m in. I need to find someplace to “activate” from but it sounds cool. Probably do it on the 29er MTB for grins. Thanks for the gouge.

1 Like

Great idea. I was thinking about it from the context of a normal SOTA activation, but maybe I’ll load up on my bike and do that instead. I don’t think there are any mountain bike friendly summits around here though (most are in semi-protected areas).

Chris