SOTA activation of 'Ailsa Craig' GM/SS-246 after 7 years

Thank you very much @GM0GAV Gavin for your kind words. It was a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed by the BML team. I just wish I lived closer to the Scottish border, you have so many nice summits in GM land!

Donald (GM0KCY) has certainly got a good reputation reading your above description and also @G4OBK Phil’s comments. He definitely looked after the lighthouse on the Island of Ailsa Craig, it was the one building in great condition. Also, thank you for the brief bit of history!

I hope to chase you soon or maybe a S2S in the future can be achieved between us both :slight_smile:

Take care and 73,

GW4BML, Ben

Hi @MM0FMF Andy, that’s exactly where the overgrown greenery began, just after baring left once you pass the castle remains. It was a great hike/scramble though, especially only given 2 hours on the Island! The boss and little Lyra had to wait above the castle for me to run up and activate, they enjoyed the views waiting with a small picnic :slight_smile:

It would be interesting to know if the Lister would still run! I have a family member who used to collect and do these engines up. He also showed them at old vintage shows, marvellous how they just start on a wind and run with no issues!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Hi @2E0MIX Derek, I was so pleased to here you call into me :slight_smile: you were a good strong signal and one of the very few ‘G’ stations I worked on 2m FM.

I look forward to our next qso, once GW land is complete, I’ll be concentrating up north, so apologies you’ll hear my call-sign a few more times, hi!

Take care and 73,

GW4BML. Ben

Thank you very much for the kind words @VK3SQ Geoff. As Phil mentioned, it is very popular for the natural minerals they use to make curling stones with. You can see when on the Island where they take the stone from off the rocks, and they still do this today!

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Amazing video thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you very much :slight_smile: