Sometimes ...

So … My XYL had a friend visiting this afternoon, so I thought I’d pop out to a local summit for a “pointless” repeat activation to pass the time, test a new antenna, and get some fresh air.

I like Garway Hill G/WB-013, so there I headed with my FT-817 and newly built 40m dipole, thinking to try it out in the warm sunshine. Arriving on top, the breeze was stiff, so I dropped a little way off the summit and opened my backpack. Funny, it had felt a bit light - the reason was the lack of a 6m pole, which I had left behind due to brain fade.

Some considerable time was then spent messing about with my walking poles, bungee cords and a convenient but spiky thorn bush to get any kind of elevation for the dipole. Then it seemed that 40m propagation was pretty long, the afternoon was wearing on and no-one answered my CQ’s. I had a couple of QSO’s by responding to CQ’s, so the antenna was working after a fashion :slight_smile:

At this point my XYL phoned to say that her friend had cried off due to a broken leg sustained while on a recent holiday trip to Greece, and my tribulations suddenly didn’t seem so bad.

Still : I had a nice afternoon on a warm hillside, got some fresh air and a bit of exercise, saw ponies, buzzards, skylarks, yellowhammers, and I had 3 nice QSO’s.

Look on the bright side, eh ?

Cheers

Rick

10 Likes

That is very unlucky @M5RJC Rick :slight_smile: these things happen! It wouldn’t be challenging if everything ran smoothly, hi! I’ve been out on a few 1 pointers lately and 60/20m have gotten me out the poo. I find 40m not to be the best at present.

As you said, look on the bright-side! A nice stroll with plenty of wildlife to see!

Look forward to our next qso, I saw your spot today, but work got in the way :roll_eyes:

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

It’s all about being in the hills. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Thanks Ben

I’ve been working on the slap’ead award for some time and finally won it !!

Best regards
Rick

2 Likes

Ouch. Well at least you managed to get out and saw some wildlife.

I do like Garway Hill. Had a very long chat with a mother & daughter about SOTA there about 2.5 weeks ago and they even ended up holding my antenna support!

Have they finished the seating yet?

73, Robert

1 Like

Hi Robert

Nope, the seating is still the same …

Rick