solved - Italian SMS Gateway offline (once again)

I’m sorry to inform that the Italian SMS Gateway is offline once again.

I already spent some hours trying to resuscitate the 2G modem (also tryied a second device) but the result is that it works for a few minutes then it just stop.

I’ll do my best to bring it online again but please don’t send messages to it or they’ll be lost

Sorry for the inconvenience

73 de IZ3GME Marco

5 Likes

Yesterday I worked on it and after 24h it’s still working so I believe I solved the problem.
Anyway I didn’t find the root cause of the malfunction so I cannot be sure it’ll not appen again.

Keep watching this post as I’ll update it as asap in case of status changes

best 73 de IZ3GME Marco

4 Likes

Tnx :beers:

Glad to hear it’s online again, but here is a tip that might work:
Years ago, when I had a flaky internet connection to a computer via a GSM modem, I wrote a small batch script that pinged a reliable computer (e.g. www.google.it). If ok, the script slept for 5 mins, if this failed, the windows computer just rebooted and the script was restarted via autoexec.bat. This worked most of the time and saved us a few trips to the remote site.

Hope that this helps.
73 de Martin / HB9GVW

2 Likes

Tnx for suggestion Martin,
I already have a script that checks the sms daemon log every minute and send me a message via telegram every time the modem changes status. BTW I don’t really like automatic reboot as they can end up in useless continuous boot and I have other services running on the same system.
I can always connect remotely to investigate and manually reboot.

best 73 de IZ3GME Marco

1 Like