Snowdon or Brecon?

Myself and my XYL are planning a trip to Wales in the last week of August and would like to do some activations. There seems to be two areas which we fancy Brecon and in particular Snowdon. We will be taking our caravan and would like some advise on what hills to attempt and where to stay as I am sure many of you out there have had many an enjoyable trip to this part of the world.
Many Thanks in anticipation,
Colin

In reply to M0SPC:
Hi Colin,

I haven’t been around Brecon for a long time so can’t really

comment there. Snowdonia has plenty of good locations to use as a

base for exploring North Wales. The following all take touring

caravans.

A nice site can be found just outside Waunfawr,

(old web-site)

this is overlooked by the SOTA summits of Mynydd Mawr and

Moel Eilio and Moel Cynghorion. The Nantlle ridge is close by

with two other summits, great walk.

Bala

This was the location for the 3rd SOTA BBQ next to Bala lake.

Arenig Fawr, Moel Llyfnant, Foel Goch & Arenig Fach are close

by.

Nant Gwynant

(old web-site)

This was the location for the first SOTA BBQ, set in the

beautiful Gwynant valley close to the start of my favourite route

up to the Snowdon horseshoe, the Watkin path.

Moel y Dyniewyd is the closest summit apart from the Snowdon

three. Just down the road near Beddgelert is the fine summit of

Moel Hebog.

Hope this has been of some help Colin, feel free to ask any

questions and I hope to work you from some of the summits.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to M0SPC: Greetings, fellow caravaner. I don’t know whether you are a club member, in which case the handbooks will give you a list of sites. We (XYL Janis & I) are Caravan Club members, and for Snowdonia use the Coed Helen site just across the river from Caernarfon. This is one of our favourite areas, because the mountains are close, and for beaches (if you wish) there are a number all round Anglesea, so you can find one which is reasonably sheltered even on a windy day. There is also free parking and a reasonable chippy at Dinas Dinlle - sandy beach at all but high tide. There are also a couple of sites on Anglesea. I don’t know how much mountain walking you’ve done, but some of the Snowdonia summits can be a bit demanding, and a few of them (Tryfan for one) have to be scrambled. Also, if you are using 2M or 70cm, some of the summits are a bit difficult being shielded from the chasers by bigger hills. (I had problems qualifying NW-030 a couple of years ago)

For the Brecon area, we’ve used the site at Brynich, on the left as you go south on the A470, entrance a few hundred yards north of the Junction with the A5. Easy stroll into Brecon along the canal towpath. The site has a restaurant but is (IOHO) rather expensive, but the pub at Groesffordd does meals and (last year) Revd James bitter. This area gives you GW/SW-001, (plus SW-004 if you want a good long walk to finish down Gist Wen and back to the site) SW-005, SW-007 (make your own path) SW-003 all of which are walking ascents.

We used the caravan club site towards Sennybridge at Aberbran earlier in the year, but this one has no toilet block and no pub within reasonable walking distance.

We’ve also used the site at Pandy on the A465 7 miles north of Abergavenny. The pub is just round the corner, but is quite expensive for meals. This area gives easy access to the Black Mountain summits, again walking ascents. If its raining, the ‘Big Pit’ at Blaenavon is quite interesting if industrial archeology is your thing. If there are large school parties there, it’s worth letting the guides know you are on your own (hint).

Hope this helps - come back to dave dot crake at btinternet dot com if you want any more info.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN