Snow Peak VE6/AS-072 2,789m (9,148 ft) 6 Points

Snow Peak VE6/AS-072 is an easy Class 2 scramble with some of the best scenery in Kananaskis Country in the Canadian Rockies 900m ascent (3000ft).

The parking lot for Snow Peak is 45km from Canmore. We opted for a bike and hike approach to the peak for a total of 10km MTB hike and 20km round trip to the peak

After leaving the bikes at the end of an old logging road, an indistinct trail crosses gravel flats with a series of small stream crossings before steeply winding through trees to another plateau before climbing again to Burstall Pass.

At Burstall Pass this is the view for the final scramble

On reaching the summit (no cell reception) I was fortunate to make a quick QSO with Tom W7RV, who was kind enough to spot me on SOTAWATCH.

After making 5 QSOs a lull followed so I was ready to sign off but then 5 more QSOs, before wrapping up and heading back for a 6 hour day.

However the day was not over, on the way back we got involved in an active rescue (injured hiker) which was successfully stabilized for EMS and SAR.

6 Likes

Great pictures and a nice report. Stayed at the Canadian Alpine Club in Canmore last year. Many summits around but limited time and equipment to do much about them.
A hard earnt 6 points.
Will be back in VE7 at the end of September so keep an eye out for something out of Vancouver Island.
Cheers Tony VK3CAT

1 Like

Thanks Tony,
Grotto Mountain 2707m trailhead starts outside the front door of the ACC Canmore clubhouse. In the Banff townsite there are also the much easier activations ( 1hour ascents) of Tunnel Mountain and Stony Squaw Mountain. These three peaks have the added advantage of perfect cell reception.
Let me know if you ever make it to VE6-land again.
Cheers
Walker VA6MCB

Walker, are you using the 12m HD push-up pole from Spiderbeam for this activation? Have you got it strapped to your pack, or is there another pocket that you can stash it in? And how do you like walking/hiking with that longer pole on your back - does it affect your walk in any way?

1 Like

Hi John, I am using a 33ft MFJ fiberglass pole, 3.75ft collapsed.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1910

It is clipped to the outside of my pack without a pocket but using sufficient friction that it does not slide out.

I have to be careful that the pole is not too high for tree branches, but other than that it seems to work. However when using a MTB, it is a bit annoying as it bangs the back of my bike helmet or interferes with the rear wheel.

Cheers
de VA6MCB
Walker

1 Like

Thanks Walker. I activated Tunnel Mountain and Whistlers Peak when in VK6.
Went walking around Mt. Edith Cavell, that one looked a bit daunting.
Attempted Sulphur mountain but insufficient time and equipment and did not like the look of the scree slope I came across so headed back.

Activated Burnaby Mountain in Vancouver and Dufferin Hill in Kamloops - both easy.
As my son is still living in Vancouver, there is a reasonable possibility of a future return.
Thought the Canadian Rockies were fantastic, particularly Moraine Lake and the Valley of the 10 Peaks. Cheers Tony

4 Likes

Hi Walker, he’s Jan, I’m John. Perfectly understandable given the similarities in the callsigns (VA7JBE vs. VE7JBT) and the limited number of SOTA operators in VE7.

@VE7JBT
Welcome to SOTA! I’ve had good success using an avalanche probe as a center support for an inverted V dipole on 20m. It’s small enough to fit into most packs and I don’t really notice the weight. While it doesn’t provide as much height as an extendable fiberglass pole, I find that it is less of a hassle to carry and set up, especially on rocky summits. The one in the picture below is an old 2.3m Voile probe with a sotabeams pico balun and some 22 awg wire.

4 Likes

Sorry for the confusion John, QRZ had Jan as John.
I have used a quarter wave vertical with old Avalanche ski poles/probe with a 5 meter vertical for 20m.

I found the quarter wave vertical a bit tedious putting out all of the radials. It was also only theoretically good for one band. I also had a dirth of 8 ascents with no activations including an 11 thousand peak so I switched to the dipole (and a cell phone when there is a signal). AND yes I am still studying CW but have yet to take the plunge on an activation…
Thanks for your comments, maybe we can organize a mass activation sometime

Cheers
de VA6MCB
Walker (don’t call me Walter…)

Tony I did a year at SFU post-grad teaching program and stayed on-campus. Burnaby Mountain has to be one of the few Canadian SOTA peaks that you can drive up :wink:

Or, as in our case the 135 Bus from East Hastings St, Managed to get there and back to down town on the one ticket. Not sure if the 135 would get to Snowy Peak. Walked the Grouse Grind though!:grin:

2 Likes