As already announce at the 8th OE5 SOTA day now the official launch of the OE SMS to Sotawatch.
This SMS spotter is able to handle both synthax methods.
The phone number is:
+43 680 3110897
Both syntax methods means:
1.) Registered phone number via the service provided by Andy @MM0FMF. You will need to register your callsign and phone number. All the information can be found here: Summits on the Air
Without your registration the SMS text message will be silently ignored.
Technically the message is just forwarded in the proper format to Andys server.
Note: Select “OE SOTA Spotter 1” in Bogdans app.
2.) Exactly the same basic syntax like the existing SPOT SMS services (EA/HA/I)
Without correct syntax the SMS message will be silently ignored.
Note: Select “OE SOTA Spotter 2” in Bogdans app.
Of course you don’t need to use the app. Just sending a SMS text message works fine.
More information and examples on the syntax can be found on my website: http://spotoe.docviper.net/
Also the last spots can be found there (for the 2nd method only).
Disclaimer: Choosing a unique password only for sotawatch is highly recommended as it is sent in cleartext in the SMS. Don’t use the password that you have for your online banking, email login or any other critical services.
Cost for SMS is of course depending from where you send. Within Austria depending on your phone agreement in most cases it is for free. Within the EU costs may vary. I think 0,15 € is typical for text messages.
A word on the tech and background infos:
- Raspberry 2 B+
- USB 3G Modem Medion (btw. Big thanks to Martin @OE5REO for sponsoring it)
- Active USB 2.0 Hub (Modem needs it for stable operation)
- 4 GB microSD card
- 2 A / 5V Powersupply
- gammu-smsd: A background service to handle SMS receive in the background. Every 15 seconds the modem is scanned for new SMS and calls …
- … a Python script that handles all the message processing, spot placement and updating the website (about 200 lines of code in total)
- Raspberry is not accessible from the internet (router firewall). Webserver (last spots) is updated by FTP.
Just received a nice metal case to house the unit. Installation pending…
There is no guaranteed availabilty/uptime but tests have been stable for several month now in a small testgroup.
In case I need to do an update to the software or hardware I will post here. Feel free to contact me here or by PM on the reflector in case of questions or issues.
Wish you all successful activations