SMS in North America

Hello does anyone know how to use SMS in North America.
I tried to spot myself using SMS and got nothing. I used it successfully last year.
Maybe I did something wrong but I tried to follow the instructions on the
SOTA site in the UK
Thanks Richard

I think the number changed some time ago:
Summits on the Air

For North Americans the number is 1-424-373-SOTA ( 1-424-373-7682 )

I did use that number. So the mystery continues.
Thanks

And your phone number is registered I assume.
Maybe an issue with the spot gateway. Andy might want to have a look at the log files to solve the mystery.

Maybe I should try registering again to be sure
Richard

Malformed message:

Tue Apr 13 16:39:39 2021:
MessageSid: SMf6451e1fc4230a0223d5785dcc0c5044
To: +14243737682
Body: wa6kyr w6 ct158 7.280ssb ignore test only

after . is not digit 7.280SSB

Invalid message: wa6kyr w6 ct158 7.280ssb ignore test only

The manual is in the FAQs if you need it.

2 Likes

Thanks I will try again

I used it this afternoon, no problem. Although the RBN is fairly reliable, sometimes I need to self-spot (when cell service is available) to let chasers know where to find me. I have written the detailed SMS instructions in my logbook to insure that it gets entered correctly. I would take this opportunity to urge activators who use SMS routinely to make a donation to SOTA to help cover the costs of the phone line.
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

Well I finally figured out what works:
Once registered, phone is 1 424 3737682
I sent this:
wa6kyr w6 ct158 14.062 cw

and that worked with a /p
I thought some of you might like to know
bye

:

4 Likes

Thanks Richard for that information, very helpful.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Glad the SMS spotter phone worked.
The post mentioned one has to be “registered.”
How does one become “registered” ?
Tnx vy much
Bob K4RLC

Bob,
Do a search on this reflector with the words SMS TEXT to see an explanation from 2018. You will need to send Andy a message with your callsign and a valid cell phone number to be added to the list of authorized users.
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

And if those messages don’t get sent to the correct email address then I tend to ignore them.

That’s because it generally means that person requesting access hasn’t read the SMS user guide (it’s in the FAQ section) and if they haven’t read the guide I normally get a few follow up emails asking how to use it and how to suppress /P on spots and all the questions that are answered if you read the guide. When we had fewer than 50 users this wasn’t a problem but with thousands of users it will become a big time sink for me so if I don’t take a hard nosed view I will spend lots of my time answering questions that are already answered.

Now if someone has a time machine and can give me 48hr days I would not need to do this. But if someone had a time machine the first thing I’d do is go and rescue my teenage body from the fool who wrecked it with his poor lifestyle choices between 20-35. But they haven’t, so I can’t and we’ll have to go forward as we are.

Read the guide in the FAQ section.

1 Like