Small trip to the Netherlands

Hi All
I am going to the Netherlands next week for a small break and thought about activating at least one of the two summits, I am thinking of PA/PA-006 from looking at Sotlas it looks like the best car park for the motor home would be at 52.0346555144401, 6.013962085390149. Can anyone advise please. It will probably be Thursday.

M0PLA
PAUL

1 Like

Paul

check my report for all info

EDIT : now I see you’re driving a motor home, not sure if the narrow road I used is possible for you, so indeed the parking spot in your first post may be the best option.
You can even operate from the parking, it is still in the activation zone (alt. 100m vs. 110m at the summit).

GL es 73,
Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

Hi Luc
thank you, I was wondering when I looked at your report before that looks a little tight for the motor home.

M0PLA
Paul

1 Like

I’m just curious. I understand that latitude and longitude expressed to 6 decimal places is the position to within about 4 inches (~10cm). What systems are generating them to 13 and 15 decimal places respectively? An extra 7 places suggests a precision to within ~100 micrometres [I might have got this wrong, someone on-line says it’s more like about 1 angstrom, the size of a small atom], which is clearly nonsense.

Surely, all science & engineering students were taught never to express a measurement to a precision greater than the accuracy of the instruments used. So, what are Google Maps, etc up to here?

Have I missed something?

1 Like

When I was a teenager and scientific calculators were coming on the market me and my spotty mates always used to marvel at the number of decimal places shown. Then as we moved on to A level courses we all discovered that for just about every calculation we ever did, 2 or 3decimal places was more than enough. My TI59 (1978 vintage) would display 10 places but was calculating to 14 place ISTR. You had to enable rounding/truncated display. Whereas my mate had “liberated” his dad’s HP21 which defaulted to 2 places. It was RPN and was more usable.

1 Like

When I were at school, we would have dreeeeam’d of 'aving a wondrous device like that. We only 'ad slide rules and books of log tables.

2 Likes

I supposed they’d just moved on from :bone: Napier’s Bones :bone: when you were at school :rofl:

We had F. Castle’s 4 figure log tables at school. There was a set of 6 figure logs available for special calculations but you had to ask to use it.

Mrs. FMF was clearing out 40+ years of accumulated cruft and I found my copy of log tables that I should have returned in 1980. I think the statute of limitations has expired on that now. I kept them because I could. Also found a copy of Nelson & Parker’s Advanced Level Physics but it was not from my school, it belonged to one of my sister’s boyfriends from her school days. It was a 1968 version. It went to the charity shop along with several hundredweight of paperback novels.

Take a bike and a bit of attitude and you’ll be fine.

WARNING: still off topic

Considered the Physics ‘bible’ in those days. I never did A Levels at school but I had the hardback version at technical college.

What a pity! If I were Benevolent Dictator for Life, I would declare that version to be a classic and a collectors item with its weird mixture of CGS units and British Imperial units (e.g. slugs, ergs, dynes) to bewilder any sane student. I have a modern sixth-edition paperback version, all SI units of course.

When I taught A Level Physics in my dotage prior to retirement, none of us teachers used N & P. Everything’s changed including the methods and style of presentation.

1 Like

I parked there, good spot.

2 Likes

@M0PLA
I see that Google must have updated their map, the symbol for “Signaal Imbosch” is now shown in the correct place. The screenshot on my blog is no longer valid.
Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

i found these camperspots on google near Signaal Imbosch yet on the parking it is probably day only , if you need more advice just give me a mail or callout here, enjoy the stay and activation 73 !

https://www.google.com/search?q=camperplaats+omgeving+posbank

2 Likes

Hi Edwin
Thank you, we are in The Hague area now just moving each day as we like doing loads of day sight seeing, Keukenhof today and Madurodam tomorrow. The activation went well 16 itl mostly 40m
M0PLA
Paul

1 Like