Ski Goggles & Slurred Speach

Hi all
Just to let you know where ive been hiding.
On Wednesday while I was walking the Dogs I made an attempt to whistle nothing happened, on closer inspection I realised that I was unable to move the right-hand side of my face or close my eye, panic set in, what could it be, the obvious thing was a stroke.
The following morning a Doctors appointment at least revealed it wasn’t a stroke but most likely Bells Palsy, which is facial paralysis that affects one side of the face Symptoms normally include; a drooping or sagging mouth, facial pain, drooling, loss of taste, inability to close the eye, resulting in tearing and the need to wear an eye patch.
I have a Hospital appointment on Monday where I hope they well give me some more info.
The slurred speech is not a problem (just sounds like I’ve had one too many) however being unable to close my eye or blink or squint against blowing wind could be, we will see what they see tomorrow.

Sorry for taking up bandwidth, but its quiet on here at the moment.

Cheers for now

Clive M1YAM

In reply to M1YAM:

Hope you get better soon Clive. It is usually a case of waiting for it to get better by itself.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

For those who want to know a bit more about what is effecting you… http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/bells_palsy.html

In reply to M1YAM:
Sorry to hear that Clive.
Get well soon.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1YAM:

All the best, Clive. Look forward to any updates and hearing you’ve been given the all clear.

Steve - interesting info sheet from BUPA - I’ll have to have a look and see what else they have info on.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to M1YAM:

Sorry to hear that news Clive. I hope you are well soon and good luck with the hospital appointment.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to M1YAM:

Hi Clive,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope that it is sorted soon and you are able to get out on the hills again, after all you missed a fair chunk of time with your foot injury.

73, Gerald

P.S. Rumour has it that Steve AAV has this problem as well and as a result wears an eye patch, but we all know he is just playing fantasy role games as Captain Pugwash!

In reply to M1YAM:

That must have been quite frightening on Wednesday. Best wishes for a quick recovery Clive.

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to M1YAM:
Hi Clive, hope you get well soon, sure you will and then you will be back out in the hills soon. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Hello Clive i do hope you get better soon look forward to the next time and all the very best wishes from us to you & yours

In reply to M1DHA:
Hi,Clive,Wishing you a speedy recovery ,
from everyone,@ C R A G, Craven Radio Amateur Group.

73 G4CPA obo MX0BCQ

In reply to G4CPA:
Hi All
Thanks for the kind messages of support.
The doctor was sure it’s Bell’s palsy, I have been given a course of steroids and antiviral drugs also cream for the eye.
So it’s few days off work and wait and see?
Anyway your four times more likely to catch it if your diabetic, which I have been a type 1, since 17 now 41.
I will have to be feeling rough not to get out next weekend.

Thanks again

Clive M1YAM.

In reply to M1YAM:
hi clive

wishing you a speedy recovery clive

73s alistair

In reply to M1YAM:

Hi Clive

Very sorry to hear of your temporary problem, best wishes for a rapid recovery.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to M1YAM:
Hi Clive,

I only just noticed this thread amd I’m sorry to be reading it. I was sure it was Bell’s Palsy before you mentioned a stroke. I had two friends at work who suffered from it and it came on very suddenly. It was by no means instant but they both gradually recovered; one about 90% and the other almost 100%. All the symptoms cleared up and the only thing left in one is a slight bending at the mouth. Seemingly, you suffer for a while, then one day you wake up and start to notice improvement.

It might be uncomfortable but at least it’s not dangerous. I understand it can be common for drivers who drive with the window open and get a chill at one side. Some facial / cranial nerves are damaged I believe. Since I started SOTAing; walking with a cold wind to one side and knowing what happened to friends ‘Ann & Sid’ I think of little else.

We really can’t afford to have you ‘off-line’ too much longer!

Hope you improve quickly Clive, come back soon with an update, then back on the hills.

73, John G4YSS.

Hi Clive,

I have just seen this thread.

I hope you are making a good recovery and you are back on the hill soon.

All the very best

Ian G7KXV

In reply to G7KXV:
From Thursday’s spots

Thu 12:04 M1YAM/P on G/SP-004 145.450 fm
(Posted by M3PXW)

Welcome back Clive.

Roger G4OWG