Silent Key Ghost on Bald Mtn W4V/BR-004?

I was hiking up to Bald Mtn and it was cold and cell signal was weak, so to conserve my phone battery, I put it in airplane mode. When I got to the summit, before I set anything up, I wanted to check to see if I would be able to spot. I pulled out my cell phone and turned it on - it immediately started playing a CW signal?!? I had no signal & no apps running (I’m not even sure I have an app that would do that if I wanted it), and this has never happened before! Unfortunately, I don’t know CW yet – so I don’t know what it was saying.

I’m wondering what could’ve caused this?

All I can think is it was a Silent Key ghost welcoming me to the summit. Unless someone has a better explanation - I’m sticking with that. :slight_smile:

(And I definitely need to learn CW)

4 Likes

all lot of phones say sms (… — …)in morse code as a ring tone when a txt comes through, you may have heard that. But your explanation sounds much better.
Mike

Hee Hee sorry … _ _ …

Jill,

Your explanation gives new meaning to “CW Forever!”

Best, Ken

1 Like

Nokia is the only brand I have encountered that uses morse as one of the tone options.

But the ghost story sounds much more interesting.

Very good story Jill. I like it and I think you’ve got the message the ghost was trying to send you: “you have to learn CW”

This story gives me the chance to tell you about the morse my smartphone does.
Some years ago I loaded into my phone different morse words.
Whenever I receive a call on my smartphone, I hear CQ CQ CQ, except for some particular numbers to which I associated other different messages.
I have a specific one saying XYL
Others saying FAMILY
Others saying each of my siblings names, my mother.
I also have some of my customer names
As soon as my phone rings, I know who’s calling and I know if I have to answer right away or not…
Cheers,

Guru

1 Like

I loaded Rucksack Radio Tool on to my Android phone for the EU <> NA event. I know that data service is pretty patchy in the Yorkshire dales, so I wanted to make use of the text spotting service. I have used RRT before but it was a while ago.

I was a bit shocked when CW started coming out of my phone, eventually I worked out that it was announcing new SOTAwatch spots!

73, Colin

My phone plays The Imperial March from Star Wars for that :wink:

5 Likes

All Interesting hypotheses, the engineer in me can’t help pointing out that I’ve had the phone for 3 years and 115 summits and haven’t added any apps or changed settings in months - and this is never happened before.

Being deep in the woods, there was a magical feeling when it happened. Ghost or software glitch - it gave me that feeling you get as a child filled with wonder. I’m closing in on retirement, so I like to hold on to those moments when they happen.

1 Like

For a while, in the same situation the ringtone was “Present arms” (bugle…) !
Today it play “XYL” in cw. Much more soft and it helps in collision avoidance…

Vy 73 de Pedro, CT1DBS

1 Like

Great Story !! I’ve been copying code since 1957… Drives my XYL crazy, when somebody “honks” a car horn -.-. I yell that’s a “C”… and that’s my story and —I’m stickin to it… 73 ted/w6vxp

My android does morse code when ever I get a new HamAlert from HamAlert.org