Show Us Your Antenna!

…in the spirit of Adam’s thread, if not a bit trickier to photograph.

Packtenna Random Wire Mini strung between a Jackite 20’ fiberglass pole and a Goture 20’ carbon fiber pole on W0C/RG-154
73 Eric KG6MZS

10 Likes

…the other antenna is a home-brew doublet made of AGW 22 zip cord. It is resonate on 40m and tunes nicely on other bands. Here it is with the Jackite 30’ fiberglass mast on Lookout Mountain W6/ND-037.

7 Likes

Hi, EFHW Unum 9:1 16m antenna, 10m counterpoise, 2 decathlon fishing rods in Ruero EA7/GR-043 2063 m

73 José

7 Likes

This one is still in the test and development stage - a Vertically polarised, steerable portable Moxon antenna with different sets of wires for 17,15,12 & 10m on λ/2 6m travel masts.

73 Ed DD5LP

12 Likes

That looks like quite a rig, Ed. How much does it weigh?
73 Eric KG6MZS

4 Likes

Hi all,

I used to set up a dipole for 20m with a 10m pole but am currently trying out my homebrew sloper EFHW for 20m. Am still using the 10m pole and usually tie off the transformer/coax to something e.g. off a tree.
Am also in the process of making a 40/20/15/10 version with loaded coil.

Activating G/SC-002:

73, Lea M0XPO

4 Likes

Actually, Eric I have no idea what the weight is but it all packs into my 40L (medium-sized) rucksack along with the radio, battery pack, logbook, food and water etc. etc. It’s going to be of the same order of weight as my off-centre-fed dipole I suspect, but it needs two masts rather than one.

As yet I have only tested it portable once, I had a nice contact with Andre W3PAL in South Carolina (4500 miles) with 20w of SSB on 15m a few days ago. There is more experimentation to do yet and I need to see how directional it actually is.
73 Ed.

2 Likes

Nice! My SOTA pack for day trips runs 25-30 lbs but I carry a table, chair and other amenities and emergency gear. It all packs into a 40L Osprey that the YL found in a dumpster at the storage place. Score.

73 Eric KG6MZS

1 Like

My main SOTA antennas consist of my modified Arrow antenna for VHF, and a Packtenna End Fed for HF. I added QR codes to all my antennas (and equipment) to facilitate access of information. https://kb1hqs.com/2022/01/04/amateur-radio-qr-codes/

Stuart, KB1HQS

5 Likes

Stuart, it looks like you are using your Hyperlight Pack as a support for your mast. That is pretty trick
73 Eric KG6MZS

2 Likes

Great topic guys :+1:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi, Eric.
This antenna is a 59’ end fed supported by two BnM BW6 fishing poles jammed between rocks on Sidewinder Mountain, W6/SD-049. It goes right into the KX3 through a double banana to BNC adapter. I made QSOs on 7 through 24 MHz with it, including an S2S with you! A sample length of Mastrant rope allows me to lash the radio to my pack. That was a cold windy day.

73, David N6AN

2 Likes

Another antenna I use frequently is a 100’ doublet fed with CAT5 twisted pair. It fits nicely on Flint Peak, W6/CT-225, from which I often operate. One BnM BW6 pole supports the northwest leg and the southeast leg is tied to a fence. It loads nicely on 80-6 meters. A 66’ version has been erected on a number of summits. On Waterman Mountain, W6/CT-012, I suspended the support poles on tree branches for a little extra height.

73, David N6AN

4 Likes

Here are my winter and rest of the year setups. Vertical trapped EFHW20/15/10 on 10mtr mast and winter LPDA on walking sticks.

73 Marek

6 Likes

Hi Eric,
I used to carry a small folding chair in my rucksack but now the piece of thick painters plastic mat on the ground is my go-to for SOTA especially when there is a long walk in.

I guess the rucksack fully packed will be around 10 or 11 kilos.
73 Ed.

David,

Thanks for posting those pics. I think that might even be Onyx Mt. in the background. How tall are those BW6 masts? The website says 60" but they are definitely taller than that. What size do they collapse to? Your doublet looks totally cool. No wonder you make so many QSOs.

On the doublet do you use a 1:1 current balun at the radio end of the CAT 5 twisted pair?

73 Eric KG6MZS

Thanks for the suggestion Ed. This summer I am taking the KX2 on a mulit-day backpack on the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada. I will need to pare the kit down.

I’ve thought about trying a setup like this. Thanks for the pics Marek.

73 Eric KG6MZS

1 Like

My most favorite 6m band antenna is Hentenna which was originally designed by JE1DEU in 1972 and a great improvement was brought afterward by Japanese hams.
You can see this slot type antenna at JA/NN-094. Dual beam gain is almost equal to that of 2-3 elements Yagi, and the total weight is only 600g including cable and fishing rod.
73 Jun, JI1TLL

9 Likes

Yes, you were on Onyx Peak that day.
The BW6 measures 45" collapsed.
I feed the twisted pair straight into the radio with a double banana to BNC adapter.
Someday I may fashion a 1:1 balun to gauge the difference.
For a Sprint contest I erected the 100’ doublet in a neighbor’s back yard and put 100 watts
into it with a K3. The radio’s tuner never complained.
73, David N6AN

1 Like

I like your Hentenna. Compact and light. Many thanks, I hadn’t heard of it before. :slight_smile:

1 Like