Short Holiday in the Ardennen (ON/ON)

On Dec. 21, 22 and 23 I managed to activate 3 summits ( ON/ON-010,14 and 11 ) during my short holyday in Vielsalm. Conditions on the road and on the walk to the summits were bad.
However temperature was about -2C and no wind so transmitting was not a problem. My son made hot chocolate milk with his military kit and his future wife? did her first SOTA-walks.

To reach ON/ON-011 we had to walk more than two km in 35 cm of snow.

On Thursday we made a trip of about 60 km in bad weather to ON/ON-004, but a few kilometres before the “parking place” a truck blocked the road, when trying to turn one of my snow chains broke and it began to freeze over, so we were happy to get back in one piece before dinner.

On Friday morning, on the way home, we passed ON/ON-010 again, but we had a long and difficult trip home ahead, so kept going with max. 30 km/hour…….

I made 156 qso’s, all on 7MHz SSB. QRV 30-40 minutes. Thanks to all stations waiting in the pile up.

The ON summits are easy to do, but not in the winter time hi hi. ( Worked hard for the 3 points bonus ). The other planned summits have to wait to the next trip.

Until next summit,

Thanks for all the nice comment.

Photo’s: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa3fyg/sets/72157625684947128/show/with/5297529146

73 de Hans ON/PA3FYG/p

In reply to PA3FYG:
Thank you Hans - it was good to work you on ON-011. A proper adventure too. The Ardennes will be there after the thaw. Gelukkig kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!
David M0YDH

In reply to PA3FYG:
Many thanks for your activations over the past week Hans. I was very pleased to work you on both ON-010 & ON-014, both with excellent signals into my QTH.

A very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your family & I hope to work you again on future summits.

73 de Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to PA3FYG:Hi Hans.Thanks for the 3 ON summits .A cracking signal on all 3 have a nice Christmas and a healthy new year.ALL the best 73 Geoff G6MZX

I have to admire your perseverance, Hans. I have seen footage on TV from the snow in the Ardennes and have not seen it like this ever. it was really bad. Still I hope you had a good holiday without too much trouble and no accidents.

For once I am glad to live in West Flanders.

73, Peter, ON2WAB