Shocking state of amateur radio

Just tuned around on 80m and heard someone pirating John GW4BVE’s callsign on CW.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Are you sure that wasn’t just me and my appalling CW qso with John? (hi hi… I hope!)

Q GW3BV

In reply to GW3BV:

Could have been. I heard a GW and a BV :wink: Did you make it?

Come to think of it, it was a bit weak to be John.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Oh boy. I knew it was bad but…
Yes I made it, all three of Johns summits today in CW actually. Occasionally on ssb, activators and helpful chasers hear the BV and think its BVE not little old me. Still there we go.
I have been listening out for you on CW recently Ric but the conditions on 40mts don’t seem to be favouring UK contacts at my qth. As soon as I hear you I shall try. I am really enjoying CW and its thanks to SOTA that I’m getting somewhere with it at last. (I have even had thoughts about getting a better filter for my TS570…
Cheers
Q GW3BV GW3BV GW3BV GW3BV etc etc

Ric was not the only station to make that assumption today. I got the message “I didn’t think John BVE was into CW!” To which I replied “I think you will find it is Quentin G3BV”. On the next over it was clearly a three and not a four, or so I was told. Keep it up Q there are a lot of us still aspiring to your standard of morse, however bad you think you are and I am certainly a long way from being able to judge.
Today may have been a turning point for my brain in tunning in to CW. I actually managed to spot 5nn, de and the double nil before John G4YSS’s went to ssb, as well as CQCQCQ. It was also pointed out how many dashes are in the 0OOO of GX0OOO which means I should be able to be sure it is John I am listening to in future. Oh well five more minutes on Just Learn Morse before the XYL comes back in.

73 de GW7AAV
http://gw7aav.googlepages.com

Nice one Steve. Where you have described you are with CW is where I was in December. Keep it up, there should be a whole new bunch of us on SOTA CW this summer.

In reply to GW3BV:

Your call this morning caught my attention as well Quentin! FB on your CW…

I haven’t worked any G’s on my last couple of activations (40/30m) but lots of DL,HB9 plus SP,LY,SM,RX6,IK last Saturday. I hope to get you in my CW log soon.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:
Thanks for the words of encouragement gentlemen. Give it a go Steve, its not as bad as it seems. I was worried that the title of the post was referring to my the state of my morse…
Cheers
Q