Shining Tor today

Oh well, no chasers to be heard today on 2m fm from SP-004. Never mind, we had a good walk in the hills and lunch at the Cat & Fiddle with Mrs L and Miss L in tow too.

Better luck next time then…

James & Tom ( G7MLO & M3XFG )

Well a good walk in the hills is always my intention - and if you get a good lunch at a nice pub as well, you can’t be doing anything wrong!

Cheers!
John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:
Yes john i agree, take it all in the stride, when i did sp-010 winter hill last weekend it was for the walk not the radio, i struggled on S20 untill i put my own spot on the reflector, i always enjoy the walking and a nice meal in a public house, best thing. Steve

In reply to G7MLO:
Hi James & Tom.I saw your alert. And because I can`t work Shining Tor from home I went out /M to an high point and heasd nothing.ATB Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for trying. We heard activity on 2m fm but alas no takers. It was a handheld only activation and a midweek too, so I guess the odds were a little against us!
We had a really good day out, the traffic was light in both directions from Bury St Edmunds and back, we spotted lots of wildlife and had plenty of time for sitting and taking in the views. The Lovell telescope is a sight to see when the sun picks it out through the clouds.

John / Steve,
Thanks for your comments too. We had a cracking day out, together as a family enjoying the Peaks.

All the best!

James
G7MLO

Hi James

It’s worth fastening a “rucksack special” to your rucksack, it makes such a difference when connected to a 2m FM handheld compared to a rubber duck or a whip. Easy to make or buy. To guarantee success it’s better to self spot or phone a friend who can offer you the “Dial a Spot” service, which is what I tend to do, although you don’t always have a mobile signal. Glad you had a good day out - quite a drive for you!

73 Phil G4OBK

PS I also carry one of the farmers plastic electric fence posts with the spike on the end (£1 each from the farmers merchants here), I stick it in the ground and bungee the RSS to that, unless there is a handy fence post on the summit.

In reply to G4OBK:
Hi all,

My favourite trick is to go onto the repeaters and ask if they would mind QSYing so they can work me simplex me and 9 times out of ten they will.

Regards

Brian M0OYG

Hi James,

Glad you you enjoyed the walk. I know you didn’t work any chasers, but you work anyone at all?

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,
Not a squeak apart from Tom M3XFG.

How was Wales?

James
…>>

Hi James,

Wales was good. We did 6 activations while we were there and the weather was OK.

I qualified all the summits on 2m FM, except GW/SW-015 where I made 2 contacts on 2m SSB.

For more information click on the link below.

http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=3605#28817

Jimmy M3EYP