Shining Tor the long way

I’ve done several long routes to G/SP-004. From Taxal (near Whaley Bridge), from the Cat & Fiddle - but via the Goyt Valley, from Burbage (near Buxton) and even walking from home in Macclesfield.

Today the plan is to start at the Cat & Fiddle, but walk from there via Wildboarclough to Shutlingsloe HEMA G/HSP-023, then via the Macc Forest and Lamaload to Shining Tor G/SP-004, before completing what will probably be a 6 hour circuit back to the Cat.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/route/5585471/cat-fiddle-shutlingsloe-shining-tor-circular

I’ll self spot when I reach the SOTA summit, but HEMA chasers will have to monitor S20 to catch that one.

6 Likes

Hi Tom, Let me know when you should be at Shutlingsloe - I’ll pop a spot on the HEMA site for those chasers wanting the contact (inc’ me). Thanks!

2 Likes

5 QSOs from Shutlingsloe. 8 from Shining Tor. Great walk. I’m exhausted now though! Nice to be intercepted by the cycling @G3CWI at Lamaload and presented with a delicious piece of Pandan Chiffon cake.

Here’s a few photos:

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

3 Likes

You spent an awful long time lying down but I’m well impressed with you standing on your head :rofl:
I wonder why the beer didn’t fall out of the glass?

I spent an awful long time waiting for the photos to upload, so I clicked on the reduce image size option - and it did that - grrr!

I was so exhausted, that rather than attempt to fix it, I poured another beer, drank it, and went to bed.

The images will all appear as intended, on my website http://tomread.co.uk in due course.

iPhone?

Yep.

They do that to pictures. There’s probably a good explanation why they do which would reveal itself if I thought about it for long enough. But saying “you’re holding it wrong” is more fun!

Yeah, iPhones seem to generate rotation information that non-iPhone systems (including some other Apple systems) don’t understand. Perhaps they have trouble with left and other-left, or clockwise aand widdershins, or something… :wink:

ISTR Window BMP files were upside down. i.e. first row of pixels read from the file was not the top of the image but the bottom.

Allegedly they do append EXIF info it’s just a lot of software doesn’t use it. I am spoilt by using GIMP for so many years on Windows and Linux that I’m used to it telling me the EXIF data says the image needs rotating/inverting etc. and should it do that yes/no. I think Eye of Gnome on Linux does it as well. Anyway, my camera gets the EXIF orientation correct and my image processing program of choice uses it, so I’m all right Jack!

While the information is in the EXIF, it seems to be in a way that many tools don’t recognise. GIMP (on MacOSX) is my standard fix-it tool for images when others (on Linux and MacOSX) have failed…