Shalloch on Minnoch GM/SS-042

Including those North of the line, I have managed 49.7% of the 286 summits in GM/SS and that’s after 9.5 years. Gawd, I’ll never finish them at this rate. OK I’ve done many other regions and associations but you suddenly realise how much effort is needed to activate them all.

Ha! I’ve just remembered I wrote a page for the DB that does these calcs for you. Had I remembered I wouldn’t have counted the activations by hand!

http://www.sotadata.org.uk/MyActivatorRegions.aspx

1 Like

A worthy target Andy and one which is on my SOTA bucket list. Can’t remember how many I have to do, but I see I’ve activated all but a couple on your list, so no chance of a joint activation there… unless you fancy dragging me over to Mulwharchar, but please ask Neil before agreeing to have a shackle on your ankle :slight_smile:

Many thanks for the excellent report. You will do these summits when I’m on duty at church, so no chance of a chase.:frowning: As for Kirriereoch, well you won’t update that until you have activated Troweir will you? :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

I do have plans (ulterior plans I must admit) for the pending updates. I think there are 2 or 3 new hills (1x SS, 1x NS, 1x SI) plus about 8 relocations. Troweir is a relocation IIRC so I don’t think it gets a new number. The one I had to abandon due to back problems will be a new number when valid as you drop out of the AZ between the old and new positions.

As I have to manage the updates for my association and all the other things, I’ve feel perfectly justified in arranging the updates when things are best for me, DB manager privilege :slight_smile: But we still have loads of unactivated GM summits and hundreds with activation counts of 1 or 2 so there is no urgency to update.

Says you! Every week I look faithfully on the DB to see if it is active yet but alas it ain’t. Still waiting. :cry:

I’ll be sure to let you know in advance when it’s likely to start.

Thanks Andy. That will give me time to plan the Shalloch on Minnoch - Kirriereoch - Mulwharchar - Merrick bimble. Hmmm, I’ll have to find something to do in the afternoon… :grin:

On the other hand… my list shows I’ve actually a few more to bag south of the Glasgow - Edinburgh line -

Merrick
Broad Law
White Coomb
Corserine
Hart Fell
Cairnsmore of Carsphairn
Shalloch on Minnoch
Culter Fell
Dun Rig
Blackcraig Hill
Windy Standard
Mullwharchar
Ettrick Pen
Gathersnow Hill
Capel Fell
Andrewhinney Hill
Windlestraw Law
Blackhope Scar
Croft Head
Ward Law
The Wiss
Broughton Heights
Scaw’d Fell
Trahenna Hill
Deuchar Law
Penvalla
Arthur’s Seat
North Berwick Law

Carn Liath GM/ES-020 is replaced by Creag an Dail Bheag (new GM/ES Marilyn).

Beinn Dearg GM/SS-067 is replaced by Creag na h-Eararuidh (new GM/SS Marilyn).

GM/WS-053 - summit relocation from Maoile Lunndaidh to Creag Toll a’Choin. No deletion or addition required as col between both these summits are within activation zone.

Creag an Amalaidh - new Marilyn in GM/NS.

Cruim Leacainn GM/WS-344 - no longer a Marilyn.

Troweir Hill GM/SS-257 - no longer a Marilyn.

Sithean Mor - New Marilyn in GM/WS,

Kirriereoch Hill - New Marilyn in GM/SS.

Stob na Boine Druim-fhinn GM/SS-089 - No longer a Marilyn.

Jimmy M0HGY

Your missing summits rated by me. YMMV

Merrick = must do, excellent
Broad Law = good
White Coomb = must do, excellent
Corserine = meh!
Hart Fell = worthy
Cairnsmore of Carsphairn = don’t know
Shalloch on Minnoch = worthy
Culter Fell (with Gathersnow Hill) = must do, excellent, wet
Dun Rig = long bog trot
Blackcraig Hill = wind farm + bog trot + long dead end road
Windy Standard = wind farm + bog trot + long dead end road
Mullwharchar = “los perros tuercas” of access difficulty
Ettrick Pen = worthy
Gathersnow Hill (with Culter Fell) = must do, excellent, wet
Capel Fell = worthy
Andrewhinney Hill = excellent
Windlestraw Law = bog trot
Blackhope Scar = serious bog trot, wetter than an otter’s pocket
Croft Head = worthy
Ward Law = bog trot avoid
The Wiss = meh, easy points
Broughton Heights = excellent (bacon rolls on sale every day)
Scaw’d Fell = worthy
Trahenna Hill = a nice jaunt (bacon rolls on sale every day)
Deuchar Law = bland
Penvalla = worthy
Arthur’s Seat = meh
North Berwick Law = meh

Close but no cigar Jimmy. Saugh Hill steps in for Troweir and now the trigpoint is in the AZ. Result! :slight_smile:

Just as long as no one finds a new one on Islay. Mind you, there are many other good reasons for going back there, including the beer. :wink:

I think you are wrong on this occasion Andy. Saugh Hill is exactly the same height as Troweir Hill which is now a Hump. Here is a note below on the Hills-Database of when Troweir Hill was demoted to Hump.

“1734 Troweir Hill (27B) is deleted from the Marilyns. 5636 Saugh Hill was surveyed as the same height so remains a twin Hump, but ceases to be a twin Marilyn. Further details are in the rhb announcement.”

Jimmy M0HGY

Nooooooooooooo! That has spoilt a devious plot of “Machiavellian” nefariousness. But it does mean you can still do Saugh Hill and the trig for SS-257 until it gets chopped. Sorry Neil (2M0NCM) as this is in your back garden, I thought you were getting the other one to keep.

You can’t do this to me - I have finished all the ES summits and now you find a new one!!!

Sounds like you need another short stroll round the Cairngorms!!

Forgot to mention… yes, my mileage does vary - enormously! My thought when you mentioned 92 miles by road which took you 2hrs 10mins to drive… cor, Andy needs to get a life! It’s almost that far to get to Paul’s QTH! :laughing:

It’s all right Barry, it’s one of the few I have had to abort on and return. It wont be changing till I have bagged it, I wont be defeated on this one. You’ll need to ensure you work it for the complete when I’m there!

Then you get a new one to do.

Bet that took some careful surveying, they are shown on the map as exactly the same height and a drop of around 30m between them.
I have a superb photo of a stag that I took on that summit before moving onto Cullardoch

Hill in background is Beinn a’Bhuird ES-004

7 Likes

Can we get this picture in the rolling pictures at sota.org.uk please? This is a fantastic picture!

73 Ed DD5LP

Andy, I knew you were wrong but then started to get excited about keeping one of my hills. Then Jimmy corrected you and burst that bubble again.
I was on Saugh Hill on Sunday when you were on Shalloch. Far too hot and not a spot of rain. In fact it was actually 3 c warmer on the summit than it was down at Victory Park in Girvan where the Lowland Gathering was taking place.

The bad weather was triggered by the size of the hills where I was and the murky clouds and possible stormy weather followed all the way to the M74. After that it was “Scorchio”. Again the MetOffice prediction was accurate.

That’s handy. And note I have ‘just’ 42 SS’s remaining. Now how long have I left to live? “Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring” - better get the skates on!!

And - hey stop adding new SS’s or I’ll never finish them :laughing:

Jack(;>J