Setting up a mast end fed antenna

KT5X Fred has it right! I also use the inverted-L, usually 20M of wire, about 65 feet, #24 teflon stranded silver-plated, just right, even in pretty strong wind. #26 is too light for Colorado summits.

Usually I use whatever is available to support the pole. On high, bare summits, I usually have two small dacron cords attached to the pole about 5 feet above the ground. These cords need to be 15-20 feet long, and about 2mm diameter. The bottom of the pole must be constrained by rocks, or a hole, so it won’t move. All you need to attach small cords is a thick rubber band wrapped a few turns around your pole. Tie the cords above the rubber band. These cords go to rocks. They must be adjusted - too tight, and the pole may collapse - too loose,and the pole moves around. The antenna itself is the third guy, but in high winds, I use a third cord also. Erecting the pole is easier, and stability is better, if the antenna is lined up with the wind, or into the wind. Erecting a pole and wire takes practice, but you learn tricks as you go.

Using rocks piled around the base of the pole works only if:

1. There is little wind
  2. The pole can bear the severe stress from the leverage
  3. Or you use a protective cylinder of thick PVC - or whatever - around the base of your pole

If you pile rocks around a lightweight pole to support it, you will ruin it, as soon as a big gust of wind hits it.

The far end of the wire is tied with another dacron cord to whatever is available. If there are trees, sometimes I use a rock and cord to get the far end up over a branch. This is an art. On bare summits, the end of the wire is sometimes near ground, but there is little difference in performance. You can pile up a few rocks to raise it, if you have time. It’s OK to run parts of the wire over rocks - or trees - in order to get it higher.

I use a 6M carbon-fiber pole that weighs about 7 ounces. The tension on the wire is enough to curve the upper part of the flexible pole. Most of wire hangs a few feet out from the pole. I sit near the bottom. I use about 0.8M - only about 2-1/2 feet of RG-303 teflon coax between the KX2 and the tuner. Both sit on the ground next to me. We are the counterpoise.

I use a homebrew tuner, several different kinds. Key points:

1. True tuned matching circuits with several variable elements
  2. Almost perfect matches from 60M band through 10M band
  3. Radio sees 50 ohms
  4. Usually no counterpoise, but it’s OK to use one, especially for lower frequencies or non-resonant wires. Start with 4 or 5 meters. The counterpoise is part of the radiating antenna. Raise it if you can.
  5. Reactive antennas can be tuned easily with tuners designed for this
  6. No links or traps needed with wide-range tuners.

If you use any kind of coax, you will have significant loss on some bands:

1. If the coax is more than 1 or 2 meters
  2. If the coax is not terminated in 50 ohms
  3. If the antenna is not resonant and not matched on some bands

Really, coax is not your friend in the mountains. It weighs a lot, it adds loss, and it restricts you to a low impedance with a limited frequency range.

Do not run coax up the pole. Use only a short piece to your tuner or matching circuit. Coax going up the pole works against everything you’re trying to accomplish.

Keep everything as simple and light as possible.

Make sure you can get the pole down fast if a storm rolls in. With the arrangement I described above, the entire antenna comes down if I lift and tilt the pole with one hand.

George/Carey
KX0R

5 Likes

Andy, 9A3BKF did not specifically ask about erecting a pole on a summit, he was asking about 3 points of anchorage. He is obviously new to portable operating with a mast and I thought a simple video showing the basics would assist him. I am fully aware of the factors involved in erecting a mast, especially on summits in GM land; as can be seen from my callsign I live there! I am unsure why you replied to me and not the originator of the question but thanks for the advice. 73 de 2M0NEG.

“It’s not the class of license the Amateur holds, but the class of the Amateur that holds the license”

3 Likes

I use a short length of plastic pipe, just a little wider than my pole. I’ve never had to use guys. This can be driven into soft ground or jammed into rocks etc. put into position before you put the mast into it.
See also Fraser’s post.

I have a short slot cut into the side to remove any soil stuck inside after use and I’ve cut one end as a sort of point too, which helps push it into the ground if it’s hard grass or soil.

Works every time for me and no tangled guy ropes to mess with in windy weather.

2 Likes

Hi Richard, that’s not how I interpreted his question. When he said “how do i set up the mast so it does not fall over?” I took that to mean during the erection process and after.

I wasn’t implying the SOTAbeams video wasn’t useful, rather that Karlo 9A3BKF to be aware of its limitations and why I included non-windy and very-windy methods of pole erection in my original post.

73, Andy

3 Likes

I meant the setting up in general,but yeah it is for summit activation since I’ve only used a vertical antenna on a tripod so far.
Today we configured the antenna now we just need to test setting it up on a pole :smiley:

2 Likes

This doesn’t really address to question at hand but I want to share my solution to secure the top cap of the mast. The bright string in the photo is my old cap tether (no longer needed). The cap would often come off and the pole would start to extend if I had my pack tilted downwards for example. Very annoying. I used electrical tape to fasten a strip of rubber from an old bicycle inner tube over the cap. The strip has a hole in the center top with a screw and nut holding it to the cap. If you do this, leave enough length in the strip so you don’t stress it too much when you pull the cap off.

3 Likes

I take some 40-50cm twist-tie straps and lash the mast to a small tree or a post or just build a pile of rocks around it to hold it erect.

VA7SGY

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input,the antenna is done,now I just need to try setting it up with the mast!

Some photos from the SWR measuring and cutting it to the correct length.

Thanks to 9A1IB and 9A3ZH for the help.

1 Like

40 meters isnt too great at the upper and lower end since I dont use a tuner,but we were close to a wall so out in the open it should(?) Be a bit better.

2 Likes

You seem to be less than 2:1 across the entire band on 40m. You could try elevating each end by 1m and see it that helps. It may vary by ground type and proximity to fence wires etc.

3 Likes

Hi Karlo,

I recorded a video to show exactly how do I setup my EFHW inverted Vee with a 3 point anchorage: 2 points are the antenna ends and 1 extra for the middle point with rope.

You could skip the beginning if don’t need the info about knots and advance till 7:07.

It’s easy with short or long EF antennas. Good luck!
73 Ignacio

5 Likes

Yeah it was low,the ground was sloping up towards the end of the antenna after the coil where the 40m segment is :smiley:

2 Likes

Reading this remark from George changes things for me. As I said (above) almost all of the summits I activate are bare rocks or treeless moorland. But if I can slope the wire from the top of the pole to ground via a ~2m cord (what I believe is called an inverted-7) or to a fence post without much loss of performance, this config becomes interesting for me.

Having the antenna pole next to me is a bonus. I don’t use walking sticks and I frequently use a tarp in wintry weather. So, with an I-L/I-7 the pole can double as a tarp pole.

This afternoon I visited a local SOTA summit to try my ~5-year-old 40/30/20 EFHW on my usual 6m pole but as an inverted-L. I attached the far end about 2m high on a scrawny bush. With my KX2 10W CW I got mini pile-ups on each band [8 in 6 mins on 30m, 5 in 5 mins on 40m, 15 in 18 mins on 20m] with more chasers and with better than usual reports received (mainly 559-599) than I can remember. Now of course, this could be due to excellent propagation conditions today or to the antenna being more efficient now. I’ll be using it I-L or more likely I-7 again in the coming weeks to see if it’s better on average than the sloper.

I’ll also be trying my other (shorter) EFHW, a 40/20/10m, as inverted-7 on 10m CW instead of my usual sloper.

2 Likes

I’ve forgotten to bring a mast on a few activations and have had surprisingly good results with a 20m long endfed just supported by walking sticks, ie the whole antenna just 1m above ground. There is no need to get too hung up on squeezing the last metre of elevation from a mast ! Also, I don’t bother with a seperate counterpoise, the length of coax does the job. It made no real difference as far as I could determine.

2 Likes

There’s a reflector thread somewhere where many others have had the same experience as you. While I enjoyed yesterday’s mini pile-ups with an efficient antenna, there are days (usual wet & cold ones like today) where I just want to qualify the activation as soon as possible and get walking and warm again.

I spent ~15 minutes erecting my EFHW on craggy ground covered in grass. One misplaced footing and one gets a twisted ankle so no rushing about. On days like today I could do with the KH1-AX1 that folks are getting excited about on another thread. I might invest in an internal battery for my KX2 and with my (seldom used) 30m and 15m monoband whips try out a “poor man’s” equivalent.

1 Like

of course it works:

…but the radiation is different. :wink:

And you’re right… with many antennas, the coax cable’s shielding is very efficient as a counterweight. After feeding it into the antenna, I make a current balun at about 0.05 lambda of the lowest frequency. This is how I operate my endfed and the random wire on the 1:9 Unun.

73 Armin

1 Like

Ignacio. Thanks for the video. Love the knots and how you use them on the mast. :+1:

2 Likes

Fred. Thanks for the tip on using end fed as inverted L. I used my fishing pole to get the wire over a branch with the transformer at the bottom near the ground. Then I attached the end of the wire to my mast and leaned it into some tree branches. I can’t believe I never tried this before. Works great.

Also, thanks to WU7H and KX0R for their inverted L recommendations. I’m a convert.

3 Likes

Hi Karlo, I am now using this tiny endfeed antenna and it works very well on 20m. I carry a small 4m long Sotabeams fishing pole in my backpack, the gear is quite light.
73 Manu.

4 Likes

Cheers for the replies,unfortunatley we had made a massive oopsie while cutting the wire,the transformer was tied to a wooden balcony which has a metal rail underneath it(which we forgot),so that when we set it up on the pole the SWR was way out of the ballpark what we measured when we cut the wire.
Now just waiting for better weather so we are going to set it up on a mast and then cut it to the correct length.

2 Likes