Self spotting from mobile phone

Help!

Can anybody tell me how to self spot from my 3G mobile please?

I did use spotlite last year but cant access it from my Nokia anymore.

Thanks

Tim

G4YTD/mainly portable

In reply to G4YTD:

Hi Tim!

Andy, MM0FMF, runs an email spotting system which would help you.

Walt (G3NYY)

i use “SpotSMS”

73 de martin
www.oe5reo.at

Can anybody tell me how to self spot from my 3G mobile please?

Last time I checked, sotawatch.org was perfectly usable from my lowend Nokia.
With my other older phone I use SpotSMS gateway: Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day - I have a SMS template which I just modify with the SOTA reference and frequency, works great, the first chaser is there before the SMS delivery notification beep :slight_smile:

In reply to G4YTD:
I also use Andy FMFs sms system, quicker & cheaper (if youre on pay as you go) than spotlite. See:-
http://sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=4179#33983

In reply to G4YTD:

You’re already subscribed to my SMS service. In fact you’re user number 4 out of 79 registered users. You must have forgotten you signed up during the Beta testing.

The instructions are at *I*N*T*E*R*M*O*O*S*E*

If you want to sign up then mail me at either mm0fmf AT hotmail.com or mm0fmf_sota AT intermoose.com. (Do the obvious to those mail addresses.)

There are other spotting systems available. There’s Spotlite which requires a mobile broadband connection if you are mobile and Zsolt’s (HG4UK) SMS server.

Either of the SMS servers do the same thing and they will work on older phones that have no mobile broadband features. Experience suggests that sending an SMS from a mountain summit is much more reliable than getting a mobile broadband connection, at least in the UK. Which one you want to use is up to you.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy, expect an email from me shortly to sign up for this service. Its exactly what i need, as i like to get out on the hills very early, but have a habit of exploring to no set route! so my actual time of reaching a summit may be quite different from what i intended (especially if i decide to have a brew first)

whats the policy on test SMS spots? I’d like to check alls well before relying on it from the top of Ingleborough!

Martin

In reply to MX0TSE:

whats the policy on test SMS spots? I’d like to check alls well before
relying on it from the top of Ingleborough!

Please clearly mark it “test”, and preferably for a most unlikely summit (so as not to cause too much chaser frenzy). Once one of us sees it, it will be deleted about half an hour or so later (enough time for you to see the results).

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Please clearly mark it “test”, and preferably for a most
unlikely summit (so as not to cause too much chaser frenzy). Once one
of us sees it, it will be deleted about half an hour or so later
(enough time for you to see the results).

73 de Les, G3VQO

No problem. I will leave it as late in the evening as i can, so as to make it more obvious that its unlikely to be a real activation.

Perhaps a ‘null’ summit ID could be created that could be used for testing?

In reply to MX0TSE:

Just sent a test spot, excellent! very fast, and very simple

Evening All,
Thank you for all the responses, and to Andy for the sms. I wasnt sure if the beta sms gateway was still active, and as I am away from home yet again on business couldnt get hold of the e-mail instructions to test it out. Add to that a new phone having lost all my old contacts = bit of a disaster!

Getting ready for a day off and a couple of activations on the way home tomorrow. Will try out the sms spotting facility then.

Thanks again, hope to speak to you all from the Lake district in the morning.

Tim

G(M)4YTD

After a recent GPRS outage from my mobile service provider, I too have now signed up to Andy’s SMS spotting service :slight_smile:

As my activations are so few & far between, don’t expect anything soon, but I will certainly give it a try next time I’m out on the hills.

Thanks Andy,

es 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G4YTD:

Hi Tim,

I’m using a 3G mobile phone which is running Android operating system
(free and open source), Samsung Galaxy S. This phone has GPS. And I’m using APRSDroid available here:

I made the settings indicated here:

It provides “single shot” or “tracking” mode using the GPS or the GSP/3G network. Is working fine! The results are displayed almost in real time on
teh wellknown APRS website: http://aprs.fi/
Android is some kind of Linux OS.

vy 73 de Dan PA2LA - YO3DAN