Seeing as I'm not getting out.....

Santa brought be a nice carbon 6 pole to replace my well abused fibreglass pole. I was going to start to improvise a protection method for the bottom of the pole which will probably be some kind of 3d printable spike for the occasional grassy activation but more likely is something for the more realistic rocky G/LD type summits which I tend to go to. I’d hate for the base to get smashed to bits too quickly.

Any thoughts or shares on what others do? This one will almost certainly only have a EFHW if that helps.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Assuming you got the SOTABEAMS carbon 6 pole, I just shrink-wrapped it and at the same time made sure the cap will not be lost:

When using a resonant EFHW, I realized that due to the conductivity of the pole, the resonance frequency dropped when setting it up as inverted-L. Therefore, I usually configure this super light pole in a inverted-V configuration which works just fine.

73 Stephan

I use heavy duty heat shrink on my poles now. I got the idea from Phil G4OBK.

Just a thought Alex… if you want to protect the bottom of the pole from the rocky summits in the Lakes, then you could make a rubber cap out of self-amalgamating tape.

I think the heavy duty heat shrink is a great idea and I’m definitely going to do something about the cap I’ve already lost other ones. Thanks.

My previous pole lasted really well with self amalgamating tape on the base Gerald but is was a very sturdy pole. I broke the bottom cap / screw very early on in its life but it has survived being mistreated really well- Occasionally it was a walking pole, beck depth gauge and scrambling aid.

I had thought about something like this for softer ground.Obviously orange to appeal to @M1BUU :wink:

1 Like