Second time lucky on Mt Crichton?

I attempted to activate Mt Crichton and neighbouring Lake Isobel in April 2023. However, at 1000m I was greeted by 45-65kph winds, and by 1400m could only scuttle between gusts. So the plan got changed to the nearby lower Jessie Peak, I learned (again) to check the mountain forecast, and not rely on the local one (it was dead calm in Queenstown), and Mt Crichton remained on my list.

==

Map data sourced from LINZ (cc - attribution)

Jan 2024, and time for a return trip. An unofficial track runs from Twelve Mile Creek to the busedge, providing good travel, and continues as a well worn foot pad to around 1400m where it peters out. The razorback ridgeline beyond here is not an option, and maps hint at 2 options: sidle into the basin of Lake Isobel and climb steep faces to the summit from there; or sidle the gentler western faces to the summit.

The dog was looking a bit stuffed by this point, so I opted to cut across to the lake and find her some water - reasonable sidling on steep scree and snow-tussock faces.

Lake Isobel [ZLL/0368] - an inviting campspot. Mt Crichton beyond

Above the lake an obvious scree chute leads to a saddle just east of the SOTA highpoint. Sadly though, on arrival (at 12 noon) the ‘gentle’ rear faces of the peak proved to consist of a series of rock ribs dropping some 300m from the ridgeline, and standing between me and the summit - just 100m above.

The next hour and a half were spent dropping down steep scree faces on the rear of the summit, cutting below stone ribs, and climbing back to the ridgeline - only to find it again impassable with the need to drop further, sidle further and climb again. The third time this happened I promised myself it would be the last - summit or quit, but no more 300m scree descents / ascents. Thankfully the third try did indeed gain the summit ridge, with a tricky but manageable scramble back east to reach the SOTA highpoint. An additional 600m of (unnecessary) climbing added to the trip!

ZL3/OT-212 - Mt Crichton (highpoint). Scree chute to it’s right providing no realistic access!

Dropping 15m or so back to flat ground, the activation was straight forward. Marginal cell coverage allowed a spot and 8 contacts followed. 40m was not working well for the short intra-island contacts, and netted nothing further afield. ZL1 came in well on 20m - indicating shorter-than-usual skip distances, and 20m also netted contacts to VK1 and VK3.

Needless to say, we took the other route back down!

Lake Wakatipu [ZLL/0829], Pig [ZLI/OT-030] and Pigeon [ZLI/OT-028] Islands

Lake Isobel [ZLL/0368], Lake Wakatipu [ZLL/0829] beyond. Route up spur on right

11 Likes

Is scuttling between gusts an approved mountaineering technique? :rofl:

Great report and beautiful images Matt. :ok_hand:

1 Like