SeaKing - pse come back!

As winter is just around the corner be safe on the hills, rescue might not be as good as it was in previous times when the UK military helped the MRT.

1 Like

Neil,

This makes disturbing reading but in some ways it doesn’t come as a surprise.

Mountains in winter can be hellish. It’s totally unacceptable to assume MRT’s are going to get themselves back to safety especially after a protracted, difficult and high ASL rescue. This is further compounded by the fact that their return route is not always walked and checked out beforehand, they being dropped off potentially high up the hill. Unless things change a team member could easily become a casualty themselves.

Farming this critical task out is just another bad move by the powers that be. It’s happening in the NHS too. If we can identify a route of complaint, obviously as SOTA ops we will be in full support of the MRT members. Highly competent they might be but they being left in harms way probably to save cash - that’s the usual root cause.

Thanks for posting this,
John

Indeed John, I live just south of HMS Gannet and worked even closer. Several times every day regardless of the weather the distinctive red and grey Sea King (other colours are available) of Navy Rescue 177 were out cruising the sky, practising just off the coast at my work place. You always knew when it flew past that it was going somewhere urgent as the nose was usually dipped slightly. I miss that sound.

The new Sikorsky S92 is a huge shiny machine but it is hardly out of the hanger. Rarely see it out except for the odd rescue and that probably has to pass specific criteria for it to fly. The RN Sea King used to help in all situations all around, one of the best I watched was near the village of Barr in Ayrshire, the Forestry Commission asked them nicely if they would lift a new foot bridge and pop it on the plinths. That was good to watch.

There is no going back now, so if you need help on the hills you might be better phoning a taxi - at least they will try to get to you!

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry to read this. As the investigative journalists say, follow the money. It’s all about money and profit. No care or compassion here.

With the military the whole rescue activity provides a real exercise for men and machine with real outcomes. Its a win win situation. Too often a commercial arrangement is made where the details of the contract is not open.

Australia has agreed to have surveillance of the Southern Ocean which is 6% of the earths surface. RAAF aircraft are the first responders with the RAN then going to the spot. Ask Tony Bullimore if it works. Cost us $6M but what a training exercise. Well you could have asked if the bloke hadn’t died a few months back. The next time he had to be rescued he sensibly did it off New Zealand who have a professional defence rescue team.

The cost of insurance against calamity is such that most of us can’t afford the premiums. But as a soverign nation we do need some real emergencies to keep the defence network on its toes.

Civil equipment is much softer then the military versions that have to go no matter the weather so you get what you pay for. Second class. That’s not the fault of the people doing the work in the commercial company who seem to be treated like mushrooms.

Just my 6d worth. I’m far enough away that the new helicopter guys cant toss a big brick on my roof.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes