Scottish stroll

[Wow!](Jamie Aarons: Woman sets record for scaling Scotland’s Munro mountains Jamie Aarons: Woman sets record for scaling Scotland's Munro mountains - BBC News)

5 Likes

But did she really enjoy herself ?

It was 32.5C in Annemasse yesterday afternoon, where we parked it was 22.5C and an ascent of 34m was “sufficient” :wink:

1 Like

That is incredible! I read the news article but would like to read more detail about her feat.

1 Like

For me perhaps the most impressive aspect was she travelled between all the Summits by human power alone.

3 Likes

Just an amazing achievement by her, there is a bit more detail including part of her route here

Average of 9 Munros a day!
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

4 Likes

Ah, when you put it like that, it seems almost do-able.

Then you remember that she walked, cycled or kayaked between every hill, from start to finish.

5 Likes

Still puts you boys to shame :rofl::rofl::rofl: @MM0EFI @GM0GAV

2 Likes

I’m in awe of these amazingly fit and determined people.

One of my Munro inspirations was the Martin Moran book The Munros in Winter.
It documents his continuous single winter season round, which was supported by his wife Joy and used a Campervan.
In 1985 he still managed to complete them all in 83 days, which I think was the “all season” record for a while.
Sadly Martin was killed in 2019 in a Himalayan avalanche

Of course the seminal work is Hamish’s Mountain Walk, which documents Hamish Browns self propelled (walk and bike), unsupported traverse of the Munros in 1974. He did use the Mull and Skye ferries.
Hamish is still around, he’s now in his late 80s. He took a “leisurely” 112 days.
He went on to create the Ultimate Challenge, now the TGO Challenge, which each spring sees walkers cross the width of Scotland on their own routes (with some stipulations to start and finish points).
Lots of people carry large loads of camera gear… so some SOTA gear could be possible if you worked in some suitable summits.
If you fancy a long distance (2 ish weeks) event I can highly recommend it. No radio when I did it as I was with two non radio friends.

2 Likes

Not sure if this video will play outside of the UK.

A strategy that included “60 second” power naps! Yikes.

His winter climbing book was my bible when I was in my early 20’s. It covered everything a budding Scottish winter mountaineer needed to start technical climbing.

1 Like

I’m all for power naps, but how do you keep it down to 60 seconds?

BTW, in Scotland isn’t a “stroll” a “stravaig”?

1 Like

Support runners woke her up. I am guessing she may never have been alone? I’ll have to confirm that when the full story comes out.

Indeed Brian. I can manage 10 minute power naps and the effect is absolutely amazing, but one minute! At first I thought she must have developed a super accurate internal clock, but apparently she was woken up. She didn’t even seem out of breath at the finish. :astonished:

2 Likes