Scottish Islands

Purely for interest, did you know that as well as Hills and Mountains being classified as Munros, Marylins, Wainwrights, etc, that Scottish Islands are also classified under the name of “Haswells” and there are 162 of them all detailed in a fantastic book called “The Scottish Islands” by author Hamish Haswell-Smith and at the moment is available at the remarkable price of only £10.99 from Amazon. The original price was £30 and the book is Hardback and beautifully written and illustrated throughout, a must for all lovers of the Scottish Islands.

I realise that this has absolutely nothing at all to do with SOTA or even WOTA but who knows it could maybe inspire someone to start “Haswells On The Air” HOTA.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Barrie g1jyb

In reply to G1JYB:
Sota, Wota, Iota, Hota. Another excuse to go out portable. :slight_smile: I don’t need of an arm twisting to visit the islands. We had some good fun operating from Benbecula in the summer!!

73 & HNY
Adrian

In reply to G1JYB:
I got this book a few years back ( at the full price :frowning: ) but agree, it is a cracker. Ideal for the sailor with safe anchorages mentioned etc, but just a fantastic book if you enjoy the islands. He has criteria for what makes an island, so smaller ones even with names may not be mentioned in the book. Worth the full price, but def’ a bargain at the sale price. All the best for 2011 and may your SOTA activations be many. Roddy.

In reply to G1JYB:
There is a Scottish Islands award scheme - IOSA = Islands of Scotland Award. Full details are available from GM DX Group at www.gmdx.org.uk
Most of the islands listed by Haswell in his book qualify plus a few more.
Happy New Year to all and 73 de Ken - GM0AXY (currently active as GW0AXY)

In reply to GM0AXY:
Thank you very much for the information Ken and a very Happy New Year to you and your family.

Barrie