Scottish (GM) 10, 8 and 6 pointers completed

Hi,

On the afternoon of 28th July 2023 there was a weather window allowing me to activate [GM/CS-001 (Ben Lawers)], [GM/CS-004 (Meall Garbh)] and [GM/CS-026 (Meall Greigh)]. These three activations mean I have completed all of the 10 point, 8 point and 6 point summits in Scotland. I am unsure if this has been achieved previously?

The reason these were my final Scottish ones was that fellow activator MM0DHY (Adrian) and I had planned to activate the six summits around Ben Lawers during winter to add 18 winter bonus points to the 46 standard points, a total of 64 points in one day. Perhaps doing the round on skis. However, global warming, grey hair factor and life just got in the way.

This total includes all of the Munros. Scottish hills over 3,000 feet (914 metres) first listed by Sir Hugh Munro, but only some of the Corbettā€™s, hills between 2500 and 3000 feet, listed by John Rooke Corbett. I have few more of them to still activate.

Thanks to all of the many international and local chasers who have helped me to reach this milestone and I hope to speak with you again from many of the Scottish 4 pointers I still need to climb.

MM0YCJ

23 Likes

Congratulations on a fantastic achievement Colwyn!

73, Robert

1 Like

Congratulations Colwyn, a nice private challenge that none of us knew about. I imagine you are the first to achieve this feat. I wish you well with your 4 point challenge. When you finish off the 4s donā€™t forget those blooming awkward one and two pointers in Dumfries and Galloway as well hihi!

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

Congratulations Colwyn on activating all the GM 10 pointers, 8 pointers and 6 pointers.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Congratulations Colwyn. Thanks for the chase points and s2s along your journeyšŸ‘

73 Allan

1 Like

Scotland must be the only place where completing the 10 pointers is easier than the 1 pointers.

5 Likes

Colwyn,

that is quite an achievement, very well done! I had thought you activated all the Munros some time ago, shame you didnt manage the winter Lawers circuit with Adrian.

Next challenge? All the SS or CS summits!

Nice to chat on Saturday, hope it stayed dry for you.

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

1 Like

Ha! - I am sure you are the first! Well done l, and I feel sorry for your boots.

Iā€™ve looked at this, although not in winter. An epic outing for sure.

2 Likes

Huge well done Colwyn!

Having managed to stagger round 3 of the Lawers group last year, I can only imagine how tiring it would be to do all 6 in a day!

Alan

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

Thanks. I also didnā€™t know it was ā€œa nice private challengeā€ until I couldnā€™t find any high scoring Scottish summits to activate.

I agree Dumfries and Galloway is a tussock hell, but travelling back north regularly have bagged all of the 4 pointers down there already.

MM0YCJ

2 Likes

Thanks Jimmy.

Best wishes.

MM0YCJ

Thanks Allan,

always good to get you in the log. Many more still to be done.

1 Like

Thanks Gavin,

It is the result of only activating each summit once.

I canā€™t see me aiming to complete one of the Scottish associations, but if it happens along the way, so be it.

Stayed dry on Saturday, but with only a 4 pointer as motivation I stayed well out of the rain today.

1 Like

Hi Fraser,

you can always buy a new pair of boots, it is my feet I feel sorry for.

Ciao

2 Likes

Hi Alan,

Thanks.

In retrospect, after walking those three Lawers hills on Friday, I now realise it would have been a pretty epic ski tour.

1 Like

Many congratulations Colwyn, an awesome achievement. I know we have had a few (very few) s2s on the way and was pleased to think I had assisted by talking to you during our recent Sottish trip in May - but then I looked at my s2s record and found that I only (?) gained 4 points when talking to you on GM/NS-040 Beinn Airigh Charr from GM/ES-021 Ben Rinnes. This meant that I hadnā€™t, after all, assisted in the completion of the 10, 8 and 6 pointers as this was only aā€™ lowlyā€™ 4 pointer - but presumably it helps in your next challenge to complete all the 4 pointers in Scotland. My main memory from that quick contact was my surprise (and annoyance!!??) that when we QSYd to 70cm for another contact someone else (shock horror) jumped in beforehand and I had to wait for that conversation to finish before I could get in. This is a pretty rare occurence even down in England but a ā€˜henā€™s teethā€™ up in Scotland. Just looked at your log and see that the ā€˜interloperā€™ was GM0LZE up in Stornoway - no wonder I couldnā€™t hear him!! A shame you couldnā€™t rustle up 2 more 70cm contacts to qualify it but obviously HF was a safer bet!

Just looked in more detail at your log for 2023 - 569 points with 10 pointers all over the place (literally). Iā€™m exhausted just reading it!! Keep up the good work and i look forward to congratulating you on the forthcoming ā€˜complete 4 pointers in Scotlandā€™ that you are now working on. How many are there - and how many have you already done?? Best of luck
Viki M6BWA

1 Like

Hi Viki,

the successful s2s on GM/NS-020 was my second attempt to activate the peak after a failure a few years ago. In fact 4 years ago on 13th August 2018. I recall it was wet and very late in the day and the lack of replies prompted me to abandon the attempt while there was enough light to find the footpath. However, I was also on the summit on the first activation by Adrian (MM0DHY) on the 8th May 2010, but I didnā€™t have a radio licence in those days!

I agree that 70cms contacts are pretty rare in Scotland but I am always willing to try if asked, so maybe I should try calling on 70cms more often. Japan is the place for 70cm contacts!

I have no idea how many 4 pointers there are or how many I still have to activate. It has become a target by default because I choose to only activate each summit once!

MM0YCJ

2 Likes