Scotland Holiday Oct 23

Hi All
we are planning to take the motor home to Scotland in October and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any easy summits, preferably with easy access, a small walk is fin but anything hard would stop Michelle from accompanying me. We are looking at visiting Lock Ness but don’t mind any suggestions as we don’t really have any plans other than that.
Paul
M0PLA

4 Likes

Hello Paul. I hope that You and Michelle have a wonderful holiday in Scotland. I’m sure that several SOTA Activators will be happy to give you plenty of information and advice as to where and when to activate. I hope to hear you and maybe get into your log. Remember to take a camera when visiting Loch Ness, you never know…73 de Paul M0CQE.

1 Like

I only have limited knowledge but Mount Eagle on the Black Isle (SOTLAS) is only a short walk from the road, not too far from Inverness and there is space to park a motorhome. It isn’t really a good walk for the view as it is a wooded summit - but it is still a nice airing!

1 Like

I don’t know which route you’re taking north Paul, but Green Lowther GM/SS-056 is an easy walk (or even cycle) up a tarmac road. OK, it’s a bit of a puff cycling up it, but the return is easy! It’s only a short detour off the A74 below Glasgow and 4 pts.

Hi

GM/WS-339
https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/summit/GM/WS-339
Is easy assent but only a 1 point summit.
Its just above Fort William o the south side.

You drive up to the view point at Google Maps
Plenty of parking then its about 400ft climb up gentle footpath up to the summit.
Can be a bit boggy nr the summit - best wear boots.

Good views but not a partcularly good VHF site - fine for HF. Pretty flat summit and very few people to trip over your antennas HI.

Dave
GM4NFI

1 Like

Cairnpapple hill GM/SS-254 is a short easy walk from the parking area, near Bathgate.
Moncrieff hill GM/SS-276 is a pleasant walk up through the trees above Perth.
Knock of Crieff GM/SS-264 is another pleasant walk up through trees, that only took 25minutes because I stopped to chat with another dog owner.
East Lomond GM/SS-198 is also a short walk up from the carpark.
North Berwick law GM/SS-280 has great views over the Forth for a relatively short walk up.
A bit further north Struie hill GM/NS-138 has spectacular views for about half an hour’s walk up the hill from the parking space.
These are all 1 pointers that I have been to in the past year, hope this helps.
Andy
MM7MOX

3 Likes

Will you be able to turn a motorhome across the narrow road and through the narrow entry to the car park? There isn’t really anywhere else to park.

Some info on what is small or hard would help.

2 Likes

Hi Andy
A walk of maybe 500m from parking and nothing more than say 150m climb, she has a bad back and hips. During a few of the European tour I went alone and left her at the Motorhome

M0PLA
Paul

Hi
GM/WS-339 Summit is at 288M and parking at abt. 150M so its 138M climb over about 800M.

First half is a gentle walk up a path over a grassy field easy going.
Then through a gate.
Next you have a bit of a climb up a rocky path.
Last section is pretty flat but its a bit uneven with peat crops and soft sections - can be a bit wet under foot.

Parking area is a picnic site with good views over to Ben Nevis or up the Great Glen towards Loch Ness.
Motor Homes often overnight park here.

Best view of all is downwards where you can see my Hexbeam HI.

Dave
GM4NFI

1 Like

I can comfirm that the views are good and that a motorhome fits just fine at the parking spot. I really enjoyed activating that wee hill last year.

73, Colin

2812620_e97cf1a6
And this is the summit.

Dave
GM4NFI

1 Like

GM/SS-264, Knock of Crieff about 70m ascent up an easy path.