SB-002 Hedgehope Hill 12/10/2007

In reply to G1ZJQ:

I noted your activation Derek and also saw the rude note - now removed I see. At least you seem to have had an enjoyable day out without the hassle of the cloud and bog of The Cheviot.

It was a pity that you couldn’t get to Sighty Crag on Thursday. I managed to get out of the office for a few hours and called in at my local ripple on the way to site to see whether you were QRV, but then noted the post when I used Spotlite. I suppose that puts paid to activating the summit for a while unless you try the route that Jim CQK was considering.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
Maybe I need to get out and explore that Gerald. I am sure that there is a reasonable route to Sighty Crag across Greyfell Common, without ploughing through the heather. Some of it may be sheep tracks but some of those are very well developed. However there is some evidence of an old path or track that is not mapped, in places - it is just not a natural feature. I have kept the GPS track of my route south from Sighty to Black Stantling next to Stoneygate End then to The Whams and then via Black Knowe and The Linns, following the Crew burn to the track back to The Flatt. These places can’t have names unless people were there at some time. Just needs some work on the route.
73 jim g0cqk

In reply to G0CQK:

Yes Jim, you mentioned the old path before. Any route that avoids the sharp incline out of the forest and the yomp over the soggy moor would be better, even if it turns out to be slightly longer. The summit itself it very pleasant, it’s just the approach that spoils it… mind you, the Galloway ground last weekend was far worse!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
If you want the ultimate in Galloway ground try Criffel - bog with the stumps of a felled forrest :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

If you want the ultimate in Galloway ground

I said to Gerald when I finally met him at our contest site that it would be a long time till I went back to Galloway after the effort of getting up Craignaw. Since then I’ve studied the photos I took and the views and colours are just so impressive that I’ve been working out routes etc. for some of the many other hills in that area. I know the walking is hard there but the feeling of desolation and remoteness is breathtaking. So in many ways I can’t wait to get back there.

The only problem being that for the length of time spent driving to Galloway I could be going North into The Highlands were a lot more points can be had. Then I look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/1516461215/ and realise that there’s a lot more than just the points to be had!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy

I will be on Arran from 27/10/07 for a week. Will be doing Goat fell plus a couple of not done before. If weather is perfect may do more - the other 4 pointers are very exposed and days are short. Hope to work you.
The view from Goat Fell down into Glen Rosa is amongst my favorite ever views.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy,

Do what I do - the scenic single pointers in summer when they are at their best and the less pleasing higher value summits during the winter bonus period. Then mentally ascribe the 3 bonus points to what you achieved in the summer!

In reply to G4OWG:

Roger,

Tree stumps… right luxury! At least you get a firmish foothold every few yards! It’s when your feet disappear and you can’t see what they are sinking into that is the problem… I’m certain there’s a mental issue involved when this happens.

73 both, Gerald

In reply to G1ZJQ:

Hi Derek,

Just a thought - go back during the winter bonus period and make it worthwhile. A weekend (Sunday?) activation should remove the logging issue. Just a thought as I say… now you’ll never speak to me again!

73, Gerald