S. O. T. A. in the U.S.A. šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡²

Well it turns out that I am the last ever activator of Mount Evans! I summited on September 3rd and on September 15th it was re-named.

Wikipedia explains why. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Blue_Sky

Iā€™ll add that to my SOTA bragging rightsā€¦

4 Likes

For once Iā€™m ahead rather than behind with the updates. Thereā€™ll be more about this when it becomes ā€˜officialā€™.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this great report. Looking at your list of states, I too think an excursion in New Mexico is in order. Next year my wife and I celebrate our 35th anniversary. Weā€™re considering a trip to the UK. It takes a special lady to wait at the hotel, car park, or even loiter on the summit. Youā€™re lucky!
73, Brian NM5BG

3 Likes

Ok, New Mexico is in then. In about three or four years time. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What a nice story with great pictures. Thank you for this.

1 Like

Wonderful report, Fraser. Thanks, OM, for taking the time to put this together! Brilliant photos!
When you visit NA next, I hope youā€™ll hit the Blue Ridge Mountainsā€“we can hit some summits and thereā€™ll be less acclimatization. Itā€™ll remind you of homeā€“just many, many more trees. Ha ha!

Thomas
K4SWL

1 Like

Thanks Mark. It was a great trip and I really enjoyed being able to activate some SOTA summits using unconventional means, for me anyway.

1 Like

Thomas, Your mountains do remind me of home. Your videos show off the fine lush forests superbly. Definitely on the list.

1 Like

Thank you for a very enjoyable report and pictures. My wife and I moved here to Tucson, AZ 5 years ago and driving up to Colorado is high on our agenda. Good to know about the reservations needed for Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans. I think we will take the cog railroad up to Pikes Peak, but that will only allow me about 30 minutes to made my SOTA contacts. :worried:

Dave, AE9Q

3 Likes

Dave, Thatā€™s enough time. A handheld and rh-770 whip will do the job and thereā€™s WiFi at the visitor centre on the summit, so you could spot there. It would be a fun challenge!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures.

2 Likes

Thanks! There are hundreds more. I went through my 2013 Nevada, Arizona and Utah photos this weekend. Found some lovely ones from Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon North rim, Utah canyons and Zion NP. Itā€™s a shame we donā€™t put photos in albums any more. They go on a hard drive and get forgotten about.

2 Likes

Utah is a great state for taking pictures. I know what you mean about lost pictures. Its too bad. I hate using Facebook or Instagram for pics but at lease you have a copy somewhere. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh brings back memories. Lived in Denver CO for a year approximately 24 years ago so pre SOTA, but did play some radio when there, however time was limited with work and a 2 month old baby!
Makes me think we should pay a return trip some day.
Thanks for the report.
Cris
M0KKA

2 Likes

Denver wasnā€™t the most inspiring city from what we saw of it. Flat and sprawling, however the surroundings - WOW!

3 Likes

Yes, its a sprawling city like many others. However the mountains are stunning.

2 Likes

I finally posted the first of four SOTA videos from my USA trip.

First up - Mount Evans last ever activation.

https://youtu.be/yepBbi8_qKc?si=ZajgslRgG2uAJQfZ

5 Likes

Great video! Real Mountain Goats (without radios!!). Mt Blue Sky is on my To_Do List.

Dave, AE9Q

1 Like

Not quite the Drive On I was expecting Dave. You can see the effects of the altitude in the video. I think the road is closed now for the season, so anyone wanting winter bonus points has a long hike and 8000ā€™ ascent ahead of them!

A great place to operate rafio from though. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Hereā€™s another one of my Colorado videos. Filmed on an iconic mountain. Apologies for saying I was in Arizona half way through the video. I blame the altitude!

Featuring @K6EL @F4WBN and a few others!

6 Likes