Running away from a summit

This post to have your “Running away” experiences from a summit.

I’m always uncomfortable when I have to run away from a summit for some reasons, I feel like a traitor!
Funny reasons or serious reason!

On Sunday I was in I/AA-189 Monte Renon in Dolomites mountains, a super place to do Sota.
Unfortunately, despite been in July It was really cold and cloudy so after only one hour I’ve to give up and to go home!

73 de IN3AQK

My blog

10 Likes

Ciao Paolo.

Proprio la stessa domenica ero sotto il Renon a malga Platzer a pranzo con la mia famiglia, senza radio però.

73, Roberto, IN3NJB

1 Like

Ai ai ai, mai senza radio.

Prima o poi ci sentiremo, promesso!
Io alle 1150 sono scappato

1 Like

You run away because there are bears, mountain lions, snakes, or some kind of bandit/drug smugglers with guns, :slight_smile:

You are not “running away” because you are cold, that is a strategic withdrawal.

10 Likes

Hahahah, I strongly agree Andy!!!

Unfortunately here we are having problems with Bears and Wolves and in the near future it will be possible a real “runnning away”!

73 de In3aqk Paolo

2 Likes

I think this is the only time I have actually run off a summit having abandoned the activation to avoid getting toasted:

5 Likes

…ran off Rogans Seat … was trying to squeeze an activation in between Dad’s Taxi services…I learned by text at the summit that the taxi was now required about an hour earlier than expected. On the plus side it is downhill going back to the car!

3 Likes

Or an approaching electrical storm - as I did Tuesday evening!

3 Likes

Better don’t run away from a bear but stand your ground or you’ll be chased, but not by a chaser, hi.

Sorry, couldn’t resist :wink:

73 Stephan

6 Likes

Brave Sir Paolo ran away.
(‘No!’)
Bravely ran away away.
(‘I didn’t!’)
When danger reared it’s ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
(‘I never!’)
Yes, brave Sir Paolo turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
(‘You’re lying!’)
Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Paolo

When ever I see ‘Ran Away’ the Monty Python song always comes to mind!

73 Martin 2E0BIA

6 Likes

Two due to lightning. One due to over inquisitive cattle.

Think the lightning one is becoming a theme on this thread.

I suggest that provides a serious lesson to all Activators.

3 Likes

I ran from the summit… to get the last cable car… :sweat_smile:

73 Armin

6 Likes

Great, thanks for the song or poem?

73 de IN3AQK Paolo

Twice…
The first time my son accompanied me and in the middle of the activation he began to scream, and crying and trembling told me that he saw a bear. When I turned to where he was looking, I only saw a black figure scuttling through the bushes. But I will never forget my son’s terrified face, I really felt bad for him.
The second time because of an electrical storm. I remember that before the storm began I felt a “metallic” smell and the hairs on my arms stood up. In an instant I dismantled everything and within 5 minutes of leaving the summit, the lightning and thunder were terrifying.

5 Likes

A recent experience:

COWS ATTACK!

1 Like

This is the original.

5 Likes

Naaa Super hilarious!! :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Its a song from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A British comedy film/series.

Cheers
Martin