Roads closed by wx

Radio reports Kirkstone Pass,Cold Fell and Corney Fell roads closed due to snow and Dunmail Raise difficult with slush. Guess Wrynose and Hard Knott will not be too clever either.
Take care
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G4RQJ:

We’ve had 17cms (according to my tape measure) by midnight last night and it’s been snowing very hard since 7.00am. WX forecast is for up to another 15-20cms today.

Nasty wet sloppy snow too. My (worn) road tyres had a hell of a job even in 4WD mode making progress. Traffic was moving exceptionally slowly. A friend took 3.5hrs to drive 3miles last night due to snow depth and drivers getting stuck on gentle slopes etc.

Probably not a day for venturing on the hills! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy, there is a party of about 20 of my friends coming north tomorrow, they will be staying at the Aite Cruinnichidh Bunkhouse near Roy Bridge, could you give a bulletin tomorrow please and I can repeat it to the club reflector? Sometimes its better not to start…

Brian

In reply to G8ADD:

No problem Brian. The WX seems particular bad around my bit of West Lothian. A chap in the office who lives out Dunfermline way said there was nothing to speak of where he lives.

On Monday evening the M90 was really bad, about 8cms fell on the high ground to the South of Perth whilst we were watching Jethro Tull (excellent concert). I thought we may get stuck because lorries were having a hard time. But nearer the Forth Bridge it was just torrential rain.

Last week there was substantial amounts of snow still on the Cairngorms but everywhere else was just spotty. From Beinn na-h-Iolaire I could see just the odd patches at Torridon whilst The Fives Sisters of Kintail had more snow but probably only 35-40% covered at the tops. Coming home through Glen Shiel and Lochaber I couldn’t see anything as the cloud base was just about the roof of the car! :wink:

The road across Rannoch Moor has some roadworks where they are rebuilding the bridge near the carpark for Ghlas-bheinn / An Monadh Dubh. Delayed me for about 10mins. Likewise there are roadworks near Ballachulish which slowed things a bit but not badly as there’s no tourist traffic yet.

Your colleagues should be aware that last week there was significant and I mean significant snow melt coming off the hills. The river to the South of Ben Wyvis (by the car park) was impressively full. Corrieshalloch Gorge by Ullapool was momentously full. The thundering roar could be heard from the carpark which is 5mins walk from the gorge! With the torrential rain and now this snow I can imagine waders may be needed for even the most trivial of crossings.

Andy
MM0FMF

Cat and Fiddle Road was closed at 1400 as I tried to cross it.

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G1INK:

The weather forecast was spot on for Blackburn with the first snow falling at around 01:00 BST this morning, some very large flakes, & falling very rapidly so the snow was sticking even on wet roads. By this morning the roads were back to just being wet with only fields & higher rural areas having a covering of snow.

We have had sleet on & off all day & shortly after arriving home another brief heavy snow shower arrived, then stopped before I could take a photo.

We have escaped any severe weather so far but Pendle Hill did look like it had quite a good covering as I travelled home, I could not see Fair Snape Fell, but that will more than likely also be covered.

My sympathy goes out to those that are badly affected by this unseasonal weather, especially the family & friends of the young girl killed in the coach crash in Scotland.

Take care,

Mark G0VOF

Update for Thursday:

It snowed all day yesterday and we have about 1.2m of blown snow in the village. The A9 is closed north of Blair Atholl, the A95 is closed at Glenshee, the A96 is closed about 10 miles West of Aberdeen, the A939 is closed at Tomintoul (as is every other road round the village). No idea about the A85 though.

Just to add icing to a lovely cake Moray Council have given all our plough drivers the Easter weekend off, starting today - Easter is NOT a public holiday in Scotland (except Monday) - guess who is extremely annoyed (Answer: about 1000 residents of the Glenlivet Estate).

Unless you have to go somewhere avoid the Cairngorms this weekend as the roads are absolutely awful.

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Thanks, Barry, I’ve passed that on to my mountaineering friends.

Brian

In reply to G4RQJ:
Radio today reports only Kirkstone Pass and the Struggle as having problems
Take care
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G4RQJ:

Brian, it’s a gloriously sunny day here… far too nice to be stuck in the office. It was clear overnight so the surface of the snow was crispy this morning with a lot of the runoff having frozen on untreated roads. It’s melting now but there are still problems on some of the minor roads. Last time I looked the A701 was blocked but that was a few hours back. There may be some delays on the A73 where the coach crashed yesterday.

Andy
MM0FMF