RIP Bud Coulter W8BUD

Bud Coulter, W8BUD, from South Haven, MI, passed away at age 80 on March 4, 2021. He was an old-fashioned CW op, a QRP enthusiast and a reliable SOTA chaser who was always in my log on 30 meters.

9 Likes

Thought I recognized that call. He is in my log a few times on 20/30. RIP OM.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that Bud W8BUD is now silent key, my thoughts are with his family.

Jimmy M0HGY

4 Likes

Sad news…
I don’t think we’ve ever met on the air, as he is not in my log. However, it’s a shame and I want to express my condolences to all his family and friends.
R.I.P. Bud

Guru

5 Likes

Sorry to hear of Bud’s passing. He’s in my log lots of times.

Andy, N4LAG

3 Likes

Remembered in my log, will miss his him.
Dale

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that mate, thank you for letting us know.

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear this. Heard him many times chasing on the bands. Good CW op.
RIP Bud.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear. I enjoyed making contacts with Bud, once past my initial confusion of “UD” with “?” in morse code. I sent an email apologizing for replying to w8bud with w8b? ? more than once and received a very nice response from him.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this. NM often has a pipeline into the MI area and we logged many SOTA contacts. Best wishes to all his family in their loss.

73, Mike - ke5akl

1 Like

Bud is a gentleman and a great op. He will be missed.

R.I.P OM Bud.
CW keys will never be closed. In memory of you.
Vlad
RX9WT

1 Like

Wow this is sad!

Bud is in many of my activator logs - he was hitting me on almost every summit, until early this year.
We often had good propagation from MI to CO.

He had a big signal and would usually crush the pile. He was quick and efficient in his chasing.
It was easy to remember his name, too.

Later last year he did many chases from a lake near his home - he often went out portable and chased the activators. I think he enjoyed being part of our group of people operating outside.

George
KX0R

2 Likes

Sad news indeed. I worked Bud a number of times from the summits, and his fist will be missed.

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

Barbara Coulter writes:

Hi, Mike, I know Bud enjoyed being a “chaser”, he told me about it often. He was also looking for a place nearby where he could join you guys. He also enjoyed Morse Code. Thank you for your sentiments.

3 Likes

He was one of my first ever CW contacts.

1 Like

So sri to hear this. Bud was in my log for SOTA and more.
RIP - your key will never be silent.
73 de K4RLC Bob

Bud was in Liz and my logs many times. We had not heard him lately and now we know why. R.I.P. Bud.

Ron and Liz,
NR3E and K1LIZ

Bud was one of my contacts on my first SOTA activation. RIP OM.

Tim AA4BI