Revealing All - visitors on Callow Hill G/WB-015

Yesterday on 25-05-22 Ian (AZB) and myself tackled Callow Hill - our 20th summit in the Welsh Borders - leaving us 3 more to complete the area. This activation was rather interesting shall we say for none radio reasons! We headed out after changing the activation time to 1pm as the forecast was for heavy showers In the morning and light rain in the afternoon. Close to Callow Hill we found that there were several road closures so had to make several diversions and this delayed us again. Once at our parking area we were soon on the way up. The gap at the side of the forestry gate was supposed to allow horses access to the bridle path but I think any of my horses would’ve preferred to jump it rather than trying to get through that gap. It would barely let the trike through although I had already decided that this one was going to be a walk up.
Further up the track we met the extremely steep path up to the folly but ignored that and continued round the side of the hill and then doubled back on ourselves to the summit. After taking photographs of the folly and the trig point further along we set up beside it. 2m was very slow - Ian just got 4 but I managed to get 22 on 40m.
I went on the WAB net to start with and this is where it got very interesting because out of the corner of my eye I could see what I thought was a large group of naked men walking along the path! I finished my QSO wIth David G6LKB and by this stage one of the group had put his shorts on again, came over and asked me what I was doing?? I explained what SOTA was and refrained from asking them what the hell they were doing because at this stage a large group of them who had not retrieved their shorts were encircling me!! They then went away to eat their lunch and I spotted on a new frequency in order to free up the WAB net. Ian was by this point unable to speak and had given up on vhf! I finished on 40m and he started on 20m. One of the walkers came over to say that they were heading on again as it was colder than he had expected!!! Meanwhile another was running merrily down the field like Billy Connolly in the Orkneys!!! At this point we lost it completely and I think you would have heard us laughing in Dungiven!!!
Definitely one of the more surreal SOTA activations we have ever experienced. (Naked farmer in shower giving us permission to cross his land through the bathroom window, man in kilt on Trostan in the snow in the Antrim hills, unicyclist on Winter hill, half naked farmer in doorway giving us permission to park on Botley Hill).
And before you ask - I don’t have any photos of them!

16 Likes

Nothing to say but :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Brings a whole new meaning to the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty… I guess it’s a matter of opinion. :rofl:

6 Likes

If it was that cold there wouldn’t be much to see :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Not “outstanding” on this occasion, Gerald?

3 Likes

My last activation was my local summit of Rombalds Moor G/NP-028 two weeks ago. When I had finished and had just started walking back to the main track I saw a man in the distance. As I got closer I realised he was naked. I didn’t stop to engage in conversation.

2 Likes

It’s just outside Craven Arms… Enough said! :rofl:

3 Likes

The high tower you were sitting beside is known as Flounders Folly, named after Benjamin Flounder who had it built. Does your sighting give me insight (!) into his folly?? :innocent:

2 Likes

There’s a notorious naked jogger from Stoke who runs around the Peak District. He ran over the summit of G/SP-004 when I was activating up there a few months ago. A lady walker up there at the time was unimpressed (in an unamused sort of context I hasten to add).

2 Likes

Brilliant Esther !!!
Thanks for the contact as well
Best 73 to you and Ian

1 Like

I knew there was something I’d missed Dave. :rofl: Now corrected… maybe I should have left it as it was!

1 Like