Return to Ponderosa

Hi All,

Activation Report GW/NW-042 Moel y Gamelin 26th April 2009.

We knew we wanted to return to Ponderosa, as we had really enjoyed Cyrn Y Brain. So we decided to do Moel y gamelin, before the summer ants(Tourists) turned up in droves.

We set off in plenty of time to ensure a brew and toilet break at the Ponderosa. Arriving at 9am UTC hoping for approx 45 mins to Summit. We were nicely seated and it was relatively quiet,nice hot brew then off we set.Looking up the well marked path,nicely grassed for comfort under foot. Nice speed as not too steep and working well. we filmed the event using newly purchased seconhand Video camera,very shaky and will need to be well edited before putting on Flicker.Path changed to rough,loose stoney and bit slow going up to summit of Moel Y Faen which you have to ascend then go beyond following path to Cairn at top of Moel Y Gamelin.

The path from Faen goes down quite steeply behind and then is quite steep and rocky up to cairn at Gamelin. This is not well presented on OS Map as contours look quite a good gap. Today as you will see from video, the farmer had been threshing the Heather and had bailed it ready for storage,these were all over the hillside and blocked the path also. we got to final ascent with Cairn insite and we were on time for alert.

Found a decent camp about 5 metres from cairn in the heather that was out of the wind, setting up the beam on the rod was more difficult than anticipated as for the first time I needed to use the guy ropes. There is no place to support the perch rod on this summit,those that have been before will know so this info is for the new comers like myself. got set up in the end,with beam horizontal at top and 4m dipole attached vertically for FM on the side of the rod. Kicked off on 144.300 30 mins late, QSY to 310 after called back by Roger G0TRB in Tamworth must have been sitting waiting for me, he promised a spot and soon calls were coming from all directions all doubling up. Finally segragated them all in to some sensible list. Excellent S2S with G7SKR/P Dave on SP016 (my Virgin Summit on SOTA) great to work Raw Head finally. 10 calls on 2M SSB then went quiet. Tried calling on 432.200 SSB a number of times but no one got back to me.( Sorry Gerald no 70cm today) went to 4M for final shout before descending got 3 calls back all from Midlands for some reason, 3 nice 5-9 signals report on 4m,Wouxun working well on 4.5 watts and a simple wire 1/2 wave dipole.

Descent was similar to ascent,with loose rocks and a couple of steep sections,needing to be careful if you new to the terrain. Looking from summit of Moel Y faen, the Ponderosa car park was full of (ants). getting down we hoped for a nice lunch here but queue was out of door so decided we were out of place amongst all the Bikers and headed off to look for pub with Lunch Menu.

Finally, we had a run mostly home and decided as Elaine wanted a bit of emergency shopping we arrived at the Old Mill House in Broughton (by Tesco)for a £5 Sunday Roast well worth it.

Thanks for all who contacted me today and as usual all logged on database, one photo on Flicker showing my thinning hairline,with video to follow when I get gist of editing it.

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Hi Tony,

Nice to work you S2S. I decided on a last-minute quick trip out to visit Raw Head, G/SP-016, one of the nearest summits to my home QTH and one that I’d been contemplating visiting for a while. The activation was brought forwards to beat the pending deletion of the summit!

It’s a nice summit and quite a busy one with walkers and runners and a shame it’s going.

Hope to work you again!

Dave, G7SKR.

In reply to G7SKR:

Hi Dave,

Great to work you and thanks for it being Raw Head!!

I agree nice summit and not bad to get up to with good weather, last time I was up there I had to negotiate a Snowdrift on the path!!

A big surprise to me that its being taken off the list???

Hope to catch you and a lot of others on S2S this weekend for Int SOTA?

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

A big surprise to me that its being taken off the list

It’s being taken off because the prominence is less than the requirement. Recent accurate surveying has shown that the col is not as low as thought which means the drop to the col is not 150m so Raw Head is not a Marilyn.

All is not lost because Mynydd y Cwm is being added. Raw Head was on sheet 117 and Mynydd y Cwm is on sheet 116. We loose one and gain another reasonably nearby.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Thanks for that Andy,

Just a shame because that was my very first SOTA activated summit, just feel a bit closer to Raw Head in my Heart.

Cheers

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

I understand Tony. I did West Cairn Hill (SS-138 ISTR) not long after I started SOTA. It had only been done a few times before it too was demoted and its neighbour East Cairn Hill was promoted. I’ve been up East Cairn Hill twice yet the trip up West Cairn sticks in my mind simply because hill walking was a new experience to me. In those days it was an achievement to find the hill never mind climb it. Or activate it!

Still you’ve done it so you wont have to make a special trip to bag it before it’s removed from the list. As you can see from the spots page, Raw Head has become very popular as people make sure they have the tick on the sheet! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Hi all,

Video now on SOTA Group at Youtube.

Bit shaky for first time out with VidCam ??

See what you think,constructive feedback most welcome!!

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

See what you think,constructive feedback most welcome!!

Tony

Nice one. I especially enjoyed the final approach to the summit.

Suggestions:

Take more rushes (raw footage) to enable you to pick the best bits.

Look at what the professionals do.
- do they pan round at high speed?
- do they zoom in while filming?

Vary the shots - get a mate to film some of you and you do some of him/her.

Combine video with stills.

Take more of you shots of you operating (not too many as that can be dull too).

That’s a few ideas!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0LAE:

constructive feedback most welcome!

James Hunter soundtrack. What more can you say. Classy.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
Hi Richard, all taken on board. I don’t think I will be doing too many videos, as it’s heavier than my still camera! Hi Hi

There is a still at the end , of me operating, I was quite surprised how easy it was to use Movie Maker.

Tony

Tony

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy,

I was hoping I wasn’t the only fan of James!

Thanks for positive feedback

Tony