REPORT - A Plane & two buses to Kinder Scout G/SP-001

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but it seems easier than creating a new one.

I’m looking at doing Kinder Scout soon, slightly put off by the old-fashioned system of payment in the National Park car park at Hayfield, as I’m more used to paying by an app on my smartphone these days!

I haven’t seen anyone going up via Edale, is that a harder route and not recommended?

Great report btw Fraser, it has encouraged me to get the Peak District done and dusted this summer!

1 Like

Park in the layby on the A624 before what was The Grouse Inn. South along A624 then up over Burnt Hill, Mill Hill (B24 wreckage) then along Pennine Way to the trig point.

2 Likes

That looks a reasonable route, trouble is I will have my 7 year daughter with me and that road looks a bit dodgy to walk along, thanks for the suggestion

There’s a wide grass verge to walk on so it’s nothing really. Or take the path out of the car park over Chunal Moor to Harry Hut that than then joins up with the main path. It’s not hard, just look on a map and you’ll see a plethora of routes.

1 Like

I saw the Harry Hut route mentioned although can’t see any path, like I said I’m not bothered about paying for the car park, it is just getting the correct change!

It’s not exactly hidden!

1 Like

Nice route suggestion, Andy. On my first visit to Kinder Scout more than 30 years ago, I went up from Hayfield as standard but vowed never to return due to an insufferably officious campsite warden who seemed to think he was in the Grenadier Guards and treated us like new recruits! That did not go down well, esp with Mrs L :weary: On another occasion, though, while staying at Castleton, I walked over to Edale via Hollins Cross and set off up the Pennine Way towards Kinder. A pleasant start but my knees gave way at Jacobs Ladder and I had to return. Embarrassing as my 7 and 9 year-olds were with me and all for continuing. I’ll try the other route next time. :+1:

1 Like

This route was my first time up Kinder, Elaine my XYL accompanied me and she found this way up easier! I have walked up most of the other ways, my favourite being Jacobs Ladder, See my video on SOTA TV. The only route Ive not been up is from the Snake Pass road?

Good luck, but give it a go its one of my favourite SP Summits

Tony

Well I just don’t know how it even entered your head Fraser to do a video. Even if I were into videoing my exploits, I’d definitely have dropped the idea with such a tight schedule. A great video and your RESPECT rating has gone up even more! :grinning:

73, Gerald

2 Likes

I’m now actually thinking of doing it along with Black Hill, not sure which way round would be best though? However, my route planner to get there is saying to use Stocksbridge By-pass so that’s a no go!

1 Like

Thank you for the comments on the video. Great fun that day, although I was a little nervous at the time. If I’d missed my flight, I’d have been in some trouble back home!

Anyway, Mo has decided she’d like a trip to the Peak District, so looking forward to being M0EFI/p again some time this year.

3 Likes

Love the video Fraser, I’m very pleased to have made your log on the day, well done & hope to work you again soon.

Neil.

1 Like

http://tomread.co.uk/lockdown_48.htm

Lovely circular walk taking in Kinder Low, with free parking.

2 Likes

Until I moved (further) north 30 yrs ago Kinder was probably my most walked hill. My favourite would be Edale - up Grindsbrook, then off to the right up Golden Clough. As you would be walking alongside a stream it is a bit more interesting than a moorland slog. It is a bit further but the walk around the southern edge of Kinder is easy and also very scenic. the activation zone for Kinder is huge and trying to find the “top” (the highest bit isn’t the trig point) might be interesting, but might not be with a seven year old… So I would walk around the edge to Pym Chair ( 620 m and still nicely at the edge so easy navigation ) and then probably double back down Grindsbrook (again river to paddle in) as walking back down Jacobs ladder would be nice but the walk back to the car at Edale may well be a challenge too far for little legs…

Edale has a couple of pubs for a lemonade at the end too…

Depending on the weather the “bit” in the middle (Boggy Plateau with deep gullies) might be really good as an explore with a littleun but the navigation can go from being really easy to bloody difficult if the cloud comes down, but the southern edge is always easy…

Hope this is useful, but I would imagine that there are almost as many favourite routes up Kinder as there are walkers, mine tended to start from Edale as that was the easiest access point from when I lived in Nottingham and then Ashbourne.

PS… Thanks for the report and the video Fraser - If you get stuck in Manchester again you could catch the train to Edale…

PS2 … Unfortunately I won’t be able to recreate your activation as I am now on leave and retire at the end of August, so no more business trips - but working for a county council I can assure you that even when I was allowed out expenses had been abolished and perks were limited to a free biro… :woozy_face:… but the plus side of retirement should mean that I’ll be able to go to Edale and spend all day on an activation without needing to watch the time! Even with the luxury of time I don’t think I’ll manage a video too!

©Crown copyright 2022 Ordnance Survey. Media 041/22
Paul

2 Likes

Hi Fraser,

Great video… You’ve become a very clever and competent videographer and I can only admire the work you must have done under time pressure to capture all the segments you did, especially crossing that fence three times on the way up.

Well done with the connections, I can only marvel at being able to get near enough to a summit on the bus. Where I live that is not an option.

I think two of the vk1 summits (Ainslie and Taylor) have suburban bus routes passing near them but I can’t think of many others in VK that would qualify. Maybe Mt Coot-tha in Brisbane? Mt Lofty near Adelaide may have tourist buses visit the summit. Mt Dandenong near Melbourne may have a tourist bus visit, but not a regular service every few hours. Maybe that is my challenge for the next year, bus powered activations.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

1 Like

A few folk have mentioned this. I think one thing I’m good at is efficiency. Probably a result of my job for the past 30 years!

When I’m out with the camera, I generally have a plan of what I want the video theme to be and little else. I’m getting pretty efficient at spotting good spots to set up the camera and tend to get the shot I want in one take. I don’t review any of the footage until I upload it to the PC. On this occasion I was using a GoPro Session - a tiny cube camera with compromised mic. and no screen, so there was a greater risk of too much wind noise, quiet audio or just the camera pointing at the wrong thing.

I’m I’m pleased with the result and glad so many folk have enjoyed watching it.

4 Likes

Gerald, I video a lot less stuff than i did 12 months ago, however I felt this was a unique (for me) experience and I wanted to capture it.

Videoing a hike is the easy bit…producing the movie is the bit that takes the time. I’ve got at least three in various stages of production at the moment, a 2m/40m one featuring you (Mount Blair), Lochnagar via a different and longer route, my 6 summit one (haven’t even reviewed the footage), plus a fourth I think, which I can’t even remember!

3 Likes

Hi Fraser, don’t recall seeing your landrover in the opening of the commonwealth games. :smiley:

cheers :beer::beer:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Geoff, I did laugh when watching it. There were more old Defenders than any other type of vehicle and I could tell they all belonged to enthusiasts, as no two were the same and all were modified in some way. One gave a mighty puff of sooty exhaust smoke as it left the ring, the sign of a “wound up” tdi fuel pump.

I just fell sorry for the poor folk that had to clean up the oil stains.

UK petrol heads may see one of ours on the TV this weekend. We’re doing Recovery at the Knockhill round of the British Touring Car Championships.

I even washed it for the occasion.

5 Likes

I walked that route 40 years ago carrying 10GHz wideband FM kit, a Trio TR-7010 and an aluminium 5 element with 4m of aluminium swaged poles for the 2m talkback facility and a 34AH lead acid battery. I’m so pleased the insanity left me shortly afterwards! :joy:

1 Like