Remembrance Sunday

Hi all.

If you are venturing out and about on the fells in the Lake District on Sunday the 11th November, especially at 11am, please spare a thought for those that have lost their lives to give us the freedom we all enjoy today and to those still defending our country.

Please also be aware that several of the SOTA / Wainwright summits will have a memorial service on them on that day, most notable being Great Gable.

Castle Crag is also another summit that I am aware off.

On Great Carrs there is also the Halifax memorial just a few yards to the south west of the top so there may be a service held here or those that wish to remember the death of 8 brave air crew, their doomed bomber breaking the silence on this lofty peak in 1944.

As a courtesy and also out of respect please honour the two minutes silence and services being held.

Liz

(WOTA Management Team & SOTA Member)

In reply to M6EPW:
Well said liz our thoughts will always be with those we have lost
73s Dave M3xie

In reply to M6EPW:
Agreed Liz,
I QRX’d my activation for 2 minutes on Tryfan a few years ago and I have seen the poppies and crosses at both sites you mention plus other aircraft memorials like Buckden Pike. I think it would be a good thing for SOTA ops to cease for the 11am silence to honour the fallen and for what’s happening in the World in the present day. Regards, John.

In reply to G4YSS:
In my childhood I played on bomb sites and heard the air raid sirens. I have seen news of a plethora of wars. Just ours include Korea, Suez, Iraq (twice), The Falklands, Afghanistan, plus actions in Rhodesia, Aden, Cyprus, Malaysia and so on. I have seen news of terrorists shooting and blowing up our soldiers in Northern Ireland, Palestine, various African countries, even in Malta, and seen other peoples wars in India, Viet Nam, and so on and endlessly on. My younger son in the Grenadiers has seen action in Afghanistan and may go back. I will observe the silence, as I always do, but more and more I wonder what we think we are doing?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
To my UK brothers and sisters at arms, my deepest regards on Remembrance Sunday. As a recently retired US Marine I have served with Royal Marines in Iraq, Royal Air Force in Djibouti, and the British Army in Afghanistan. Ive always been impressed with the professionalism, devotion to duty and courage of these brave warriors. I have fond memories of my days of joint service. I too will pause in a moment of silence.
Semper Fidelis
Mike W6AH

In reply to G4YSS:

In reply to M6EPW:
I think it would be a good
thing for SOTA ops to cease for the 11am silence to honour the fallen
and for what’s happening in the World in the present day. Regards,
John.

Hi John,

I think this sums up things really well.

So many lives have been lost on all sides in wars from the past right through to present day.
Irrespective of country, etc. ALL deserve acknowledgement for the sacrifices made.

I echo Brian’s thoughts about wondering sometimes what we think we are doing in our world when you see the devastation still being caused today.

Perhaps one day, the human race will learn to live in peace with each other and put an end to the suffering.

Liz

I will be on kinder scout on Remembrance sunday with the explorer scouts i will have my handheld with me and might get some sotaing done after the silence but i will be silent at 11 thanks to all the brave men and women that have given the lives to our country and others around

73 kieran
M6AYW

Our thoughts are with those, both past and present on this, Armistice Day.

They went with songs to the battle,they were young. Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow. They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted, They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

Quite a nice gathering of people at Buckden Pike Memorial Cross today at 11am.

The weather was glorious, more like early Spring rather than heading towards Winter, quite a difference from the last few years!

I’m hoping to write up a more detailed activation report soon.

73, Colin M0CGH

I was at a Hamfest at the time, and the organisors asked for a minutes silence at 11:00 and read out the ode to those whose sacrifice we remember. As ex-army, it was great to see everyone complying and bowing their heads for the fallen. They are not forgotten.
Mark

M6PYG, G4OBK and I observed our 2 minutes silence on our way to Harter Fell. It is thanks to the sacrifices made by others that we are free to roam the hills.

Nick

In reply to G4OOE:

M6PYG, G4OBK and I observed our 2 minutes silence on our way to Harter
Fell. It is thanks to the sacrifices made by others that we are free
to roam the hills.

Nick

This is true, Nick, but it is also thanks to the sacrifices made by those who participated in the mass trespasses and served time with hard labour for it, we should spare a grateful thought for them, too, as we enjoy our freedom of the hills. Not intending to denigrate the war fallen, I just want us to remember the debt we owe to others, too.

Brian G8ADD

Good point Brian! We have a lot of people to whom we owe a debt of gratitude.

Nick G4OOE