Recommendations for a quality sighting compass

I use a compass for aligning the dish and other microwave aerials, for a long while I used my trusty old Silva compass, which I’d had for over 40 years I think.

Finally it broke, I can’t quite remember, I think it was one of the clips that held the bezel failed.

I tried a few of the usual ones from Mountain Warehouse etc and found them all to be poor quality.
I finally bought a Silva Ranger S as I wanted a sighting compass ideally. The first time out the silvered surface of the mirror started to tarnish and I found that there was a problem with the repeatability of the reading, but I kept going with it.
Then I dropped it, the hinged mirror snapped off. Finally I dropped it again and the damping oil leaked out.
My previous Silva must have been dropped hundreds of times. I feel the quality is not there any more.
I took a trip to Ambleside this week hoping to pick up a replacement, but the only brand stocked in the whole town is Silva.
So what other sighting compass’s are around? I’m considering doing an eBay search for an old WWII army compass at the moment.

Thanks

Nick G0HIK

1 Like

This looks jolly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403697944433

1 Like

I’m watching that one Andy, but I dont know anything about that model except what I have read in the manual I have downloaded.

Nick G0HIK

Great minds think alike is the saying you’re looking for!

1 Like

This might be worth a look:

2 Likes

Thanks Jon,

That’s another one I looked at and seems Okay.

You know, when anything has to have the word “Professional” in the title or description, it starts to ring alarm bells with me. Nearly every compass has that in the description on eBay :slight_smile:

Nick G0HIK

2 Likes

… oh my - souvenirs from a former life! :sunglasses:

Assuming it’s not bogus, the NSN (Nato Stock number) means it was made for the Military.

1 Like

Ah a satisfied customer! So Markus, where they any good for their intended purpose?

I’m saddened to hear Silva quality is now no longer provided as standard with their products :frowning:

Smile . . . sorry, far from it, Andy. Some trial & error, not more. Decades ago in military service. To be honest: using a smartphone today where necessary hi.

73, DIZ

2 Likes

I’ve had a Suunto Vector watch for over 20 years and still use it on all my SOTA activators (displays UTC which is useful as I’m a paper logger) and believe the company to be reputable and the producer of good if not expensive products.

I also have the MC-2-G which I bought in California and beyond being Suunto liked the ability to adjust it for use across the US and UK/EU.

Paul

2 Likes

an accurate marine bearing compass like this :

73, Bruno, F6HHK

4 Likes

That’s a good point, kit designed for the marine environment is usually good quality.

My marine sighting compass has been with me for almost 20 years on dozens of sea trips and even more hills. Lightweight, luminous, waterproof, rugged, still like new and works a treat. 73 Mike

1 Like

I really love mine, don’t use it too much, but absolute love the design with the mirror under the compass. Very reliable, light, small and well protected.

Christian DK5CH

I have this model. It’s a tank, and it’s survived every SOTA activation thus far plus every pre-SOTA adventure and a few Colorado 14er summits for almost 10 years now.

I have one, used it for surveying cell sites and microwave links 20years back all over the world.
Quality gear that only gets used a bit these days out walking when need a bearing.

I use the Silva 54b-6400-360-military, 1/2 degree of resolution with magnetic south compensation for the VK land and tritium illumination for night sighting.

1 Like

Pascal @VK2IHL

Forget the compass!!

What’s the story on what looks like a home brew radio?

Paul

4 Likes

I too have had a Silva Type 54 for the last 35 years and it’s still going strong. More sturdy than a Ranger with no flimsy lid/mirror etc.

I believe it has been superseded by the (similar) Type 55 now but I would give it a look.